Architecture Practice Lead
G-Research is a leading quantitative research and technology company. By using the latest scientific techniques, we produce world-beating predictive research and build advanced technology to analyse the world’s data.
The CTO is coordinating the development of an architecture practice for G-Research. G-Research has grown rapidly over the past few years and has a large and varied technology estate, which is undergoing rapid change. The CTO is responsible for the future technology direction of the business, and ensuring that requirements are articulated clearly for the Engineering organisation.
As our Architecture Practice Lead, you will support the establishment of a more conscious and visible approach to Architecture. This role is all about connecting, communicating, synthesising and documenting rather than telling and instructing.
G-Research has a significant Engineering function with approximately 450 engineers across the business. We aim to allow teams to work autonomously; designing and building their own solutions. This means various engineers, designers and architects are already building and planning technology solutions. We are looking for the Architecture Practice Lead to work with these existing team members in order to join the dots and establish a clear overall picture of the current and possible future architectures at G-Research.
You will also play a key role in establishing a more active Architecture specification function for longer-term business requirements and opportunities. Vital to the Architecture Practice Lead role, will be connecting this work to that of the teams, and communicating it effectively to the Board, executive management team, and technical teams.
G-Research has recently established a leadership group around Architecture who work together to establish the future requirements for the business. There are also some dedicated architects working throughout the company. The Architecture Practice Lead will support this group in three main ways:
- Establish a clear set of documents and diagrams that tell the story of what is currently happening around the business (both current state and planned future state). This will be done in discussions with the existing leads in teams responsible for the designs of the systems they build. This is very much an information gathering and synthesising exercise. The output of this work will be a coherent set of diagrams and documents, with differing levels of detail that allow a common view across the technical landscape. Support for actual production of diagrams from a central team is available to the Practice Lead
- Document the future requirements and ideas for how the business may evolve as output from workshops with the leadership team. These future topologies and states will be more idealised and allow exploration of ‘what-if’ scenarios for the future
- Assist in identifying opportunities to share learnings, finding places where the same or similar problems are being solved, and teams are able to work together – put simply the Architecture Practice Lead should become a ‘connecting’ agent around the business
Who are we looking for?
- Significant breadth of experience across the technical spectrum – ideally someone with a software development background at some stage
- Deeply technical individual with knowledge of complex systems, architecture patterns, software development methodologies, modern system design patterns, cloud native technologies and the pros and cons of various approaches
- Ideal candidate would understand something of the domain G-Research is concerned with (quantitative signal research, automated execution systems, data analysis, real-time systems, machine learning)
- Ability to understand complex technical concepts and simplify them down to their key elements
- Great visual communicator
- Have the soft skills and experience of working with people to ensure they are sensitive to the views of others, and be able to discover how to work with a rich variety of different stakeholders
- Have an open mind-set, favouring collaboration and influencing/coaching rather than direct line management/instruction
- Demonstrable experience with a broad variety of technical projects and ability to know what works and what doesn’t
- Extensive knowledge of architecture of modern ‘cloud-native’ systems as well as the various methodologies, concepts and competing viewpoints in the modern world of software development
Why should you apply?
- Highly competitive compensation plus annual discretionary bonus
- Informal dress code and work/life balance
- Comprehensive healthcare and life assurance
- 25 days holiday
- Monthly company events
- Central London office close to 5 stations and 6 tube lines
APPLY NOW >