Data Science Summer Internship – Data Intelligence
G-Research is a leading quantitative research and technology company. By using the latest scientific techniques, we produce world-beating predictive research and build advanced technology to analyse the world’s data.
Our business is to predict the future of financial markets, applying scientific techniques to find patterns in large, noisy, and rapidly changing datasets. Our mission as a team is to help discover, enrich and analyse data sources that will drive tomorrow’s research initiatives.
This is a team at the forefront of the company’s data strategy, responsible for finding solutions to some of the many important data challenges within the firm, meaning you will have a unique opportunity to make an impact from the beginning. The successful candidate will be comfortable working within a multi-disciplinary team, collaborating with industry leading data scientists and financial experts, developing solutions that adapt to a rapidly changing data landscape.
In this role, you will apply your knowledge to support the exploration, enrichment and even creation of new datasets for research. You will use your knowledge of data blending, statistical analysis, and machine learning methods to help scale and automate the way we analyse, validate and visualise diverse data sources; and you will help build tooling to enable data science initiatives across the company.
Who are we looking for?
The ideal candidate will at minimum have experience in the following areas:
- A strong undergraduate or Masters student in a numerical subject (Machine Learning, NLP, Mathematics, Data Science, Computer Science, Statistics, Physics, Engineering, etc.).
- Advanced knowledge of Python and PySpark, in particular packages such as Pandas, Numpy, SciPy, Matplotlib (or equivalent).
- Practical understanding of SQL and NoSQL databases.
- Experience selecting, developing and refining machine-learning models.
- Knowledge and/or interest in Natural Language Processing.
- Demonstrable proficiency in statistical data analysis and data visualisation.
- Confidence to build relationships with both internal teams and external vendors, and ability to communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Previous financial experience is not required, although an interest in financial markets and securities is desirable.
- Self-starting positive attitude, ability to thrive in an autonomous environment and willingness to learn.
- Contributions to Open Source repositories/competitions (e.g. GitHub, Kaggle)
Why should you apply?
- This is an exciting opportunity to make a significant impact on the rate of research output, which is critical to the success of our business.
- Highly competitive compensation
- Informal dress code and excellent work/life balance
- Comprehensive healthcare and life assurance
- 25 days holiday (pro rata)
- Contributory pension scheme
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Subsidised gym membership
- Full intern social calendar plus monthly company events
- Central London office close to 5 stations and 6 tube lines