FinTech Software Engineer
Imagine writing the code at the core of your company’s success
G-Research is a leading quantitative research and technology company. By using the latest scientific techniques, we produce world-beating predictive research and build advanced technology to analyse the world’s data.
Software Engineering is core to our business. By designing and implementing real-time systems, our engineers are solving some of the world’s most complex financial problems.
We are looking for a talented engineer to join our FinTech team. It is imperative that you possess strong communication skills in order to liaise directly with the business throughout the engineering life cycle. From capturing requirements to delivering applications that meet the business’ needs, you will be providing scalability to cater for the ever-shifting landscape to which Risk Management, Portfolio Research Group, and Back Office must adapt to.
Many of the projects involve working closely with other teams which provides an excellent opportunity to gain a strong understanding of the entire investment platform. You will be working on high-profile greenfield projects and existing systems where the design and implementation of these projects will be driven by you. A majority of the development work is taking place in Scala on Apache Spark and HDFS, but a number of existing C#-based systems are being actively maintained and migrated to .NET Core and Kubernetes.
The successful candidate will be a strong, competent and practical software engineer with a proven ability to develop and deliver high-quality software. We’re looking for engineers who are good at reasoning about complex distributed systems, understanding how best to store information relating to these systems and how best to represent it visually. This role will suit an engineer who is looking to contribute to the operational success of an leading FinTech company by creating software that ranges from resilient server-side components and a high performance big data platform through to well-designed user interfaces.
Required skills and experience:
- Excellent programming skills, ideally including Scala, C#, or Java.
- Proven track record of using technology related to distributed software.
- Excellent academics – good A-level results combined with a 2.1 or better from a top tier university in computer science or similar.
- Exposure to Big Data technologies such as Apache Spark and Hadoop.
- An appreciation of Continuous Delivery principles (e.g. one-click deployment, fast feedback, etc.).
- Exposure to an agile and collaborative team environment.
Some front end experience with Angular, React, WPF, or similar.
As the firm operates 24/5 the candidate will be required to provide support for production issues, which can include very occasional overnight calls shared in a rota with other team members.
Why should you apply?
- Highly competitive compensation plus annual discretionary bonus
- Informal dress code and excellent work/life balance
- Comprehensive healthcare and life assurance
- 25 days holiday
- Monthly company events
- Central London office close to 5 stations and 6 tube lines