Technology & Operations
Linux Operations Engineer
Imagine introducing the next generation of technology to a platform in real-time.
G-Research is a leading quantitative research and technology company. By using the latest scientific techniques, we produce world-beating predictive research and build advanced technology to analyse the world’s data.
We are developing the next generation of infrastructure that can effortlessly scale and flex. This capability allows us to adapt to the demanding needs of the business to process and analyse large and varied data sets at speed.
We are looking for a Linux Operations Engineer to join our Linux Core team. This is an exciting time to join the business as we are starting a strategic move from a predominantly Windows infrastructure to Linux. You will be coming on board at a critical time to help drive the expansion of the Linux infrastructure and grow its reach within G-Research.
On a daily basis you will be closely interacting with the Linux Engineering team, as well as other systems/infrastructure teams and developer teams.
The group is responsible for the day-to-day operation of the Linux technical infrastructure, big data technologies, market data technical and entitlement. The role will primarily centre on monitoring, support and troubleshooting of the infrastructure. It will cover the following main areas:
- Monitor the health of the infrastructure, and contribute to continuous improvement of the monitoring checks.
- Investigate production issues and resolves them.
- Server and user provisioning
- OS patching
- Application packaging and upgrades
- First point of contact for user requests
- Close communication with the Linux Engineers to highlight pain points, recurring issues, opportunities for streamlining and automation.
- Go beyond short term fixes, identify long term solutions.
As well as operational responsibilities, the role also provides the opportunity to work alongside the Linux Engineering team on infrastructure projects. Team members will get a broad exposure to a variety of enterprise products and technologies and a wealth of expertise.
Who are we looking for?
The ideal candidate will at minimum have experience in the following areas:
- Experience on Linux, ideally Red Hat/CentOS
- Server network configuration and troubleshooting, including bonding, static routes
- Experience looking after critical production systems
- Scripting (e.g. bash, Python, Perl)
- Exposure to configuration management application (such as Puppet or Chef)
- Exposure to orchestration and automation tools (such as Ansible and Rundeck)
- Enterprise monitoring applications (e.g. ITRS Geneos)
The following would be advantageous but not necessary:
- Packaging (e.g. RPMs, including repositories)
- Database administration and querying (SQL)
- Time synchronization (e.g. NTP, PTP)
- Big data and distributed systems
- Real time market data feeds
Candidates should first and foremost have a good general technical knowledge with a great motivation to learn and solve problems.
In addition to the technical skill set, we are looking for motivated team players who are able to see inefficiencies in our systems and processes and who can then suggest solutions as to how things could be done better. We are always looking to continuously improve and it is important that you have this mind-set too.
Why should you apply?
- Highly competitive compensation plus annual discretionary bonus
- Informal dress code and excellent work/life balance
- Comprehensive healthcare and life assurance
- 25 days holiday
- Contributory pension scheme
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Subsidised gym membership
- Monthly company events
- Central London office close to 5 stations and 6 tube lines