New Opportunities Research Engineer
Imagine discovering something undiscovered
G-Research is a leading quantitative research and technology company. By using the latest scientific techniques, we produce world-beating predictive research and build advanced technology to analyse the world’s data.
Our researchers are free to explore ideas, finding patterns in large, noisy and real-world data sets to predict the movements in global financial markets.
As a New Opportunities Research Engineer in the Opportunity Evaluation Group, you will engineer solutions that enable our quantitative researchers to validate innovative business ideas. You will work in a cross-functional team looking to deliver strategic change to the business by discovering new opportunities that leverage G-Research’s core competencies.
Working alongside researchers you will advise them on engineering design principles and pair with them on their projects. This Group operates as an internal incubator, so you will work on a variety of projects and be expected to excel across multiple technology stacks.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Writing code in multiple languages that enables researchers to investigate their ideas
- Writing code that meets modern engineering standards: good test coverage, containerised, orchestrated in a PaaS etc
- Developing re-usable components for future research, in the form of libraries or services with a preference to the use of open source or vendor solutions where that accelerates idea validation
- Investigating and proof-of-concept the use of open source and vendor technologies for trade execution and quantitative research
- Operating & supporting the platform & processes that are developed by the team
- Communicating and visualising technical ideas concisely and clearly to research, business and development teams
- Documenting ideas, designs, decisions, and new knowledge accurately
Who are we looking for?
The ideal candidate will, at minimum, have experience in the following areas:
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in quantitative, STEM or other technical discipline
- 8+ years coding experience across multiple languages including at least one of (Python, Java, C#)
- 1+ years’ experience developing code in a public cloud (e.g. AWS, Azure, Google Cloud)
- Knowledge of financial markets and instruments
- Knowledge and practise of continuous delivery, agile, continuous integration
- Advanced problem solving & logic
The following are beneficial but not required:
- 1+ years experience with Spark
- 1+ years experience with Python scientific libraries
- 1+ years experience with a notebook technology e.g. Jupyter
- Experience working in an innovative, quantitative environment
- Experience integrating vendor trading systems into an existing platform
Why should you apply?
- Highly competitive compensation plus annual discretionary bonus
- Informal dress code and work/life balance
- Comprehensive healthcare and life assurance
- 25 days holiday
- Contributory pension scheme
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Subsidised gym membership
- Monthly company events
- Central London office close to 5 stations and 6 tube lines