Quant Operations Software Engineer
G-Research is a leading quantitative research and technology company. By using the latest scientific techniques, we produce world-beating predictive research and build advanced technology to analyse the world’s data.
Software Engineering is core to our business. By designing and implementing real-time systems, our engineers are solving some of the world’s most complex financial problems.
Quant Operations Development (QOD) is a software engineering team responsible for enhancing and maintaining the data workflow and visualisation of the firm’s post-trade data. This data is used to spot undesired market behaviour, provide feedback to quant and engineering teams, and to find discrepancies between production and simulation. We work closely with quant research teams and follow Agile practices in a non-ideological way. We encourage discussion with a collaborative, diplomatic approach to problem solving.
Within QOD, our engineers interface between multiple analyst teams and trading platform engineers. As such, candidates applying need to be comfortable adapting to new technologies across a range of languages and frameworks. An ideal candidate will be able to explain technical details and promote good coding practices to a variety of technical professionals both with and without Computer Science backgrounds.
The main responsibilities of the role include:
- Designing and implementing high-quality code to deliver clean, automated, robust solutions.
- Building cutting-edge tools and infrastructure to support data workflow and analysis.
Liaising with quant operations teams to gather requirements for improvement and to promote good development practices.
Who should apply?
In order to apply, you will be an intelligent, capable and creative software engineer with a strong emphasis on clean coding and testing practices. You should be enthusiastic about software engineering and have a genuine interest in the latest software technology. This role is ideally suited to an engineer who is keen to work closely with customers to produce outstanding, measurable solutions for the business.
Required skills & experience:
- A proven ability to develop high-quality software in an OO language.
- An appreciation of good software architecture, CompSci fundamentals & data structures.
- Experience working with Spark (preferably in Scala).
Further desirable characteristics:
- Finance experience is useful but by no means a pre-requisite. Candidates from non-financial backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
- Able and willing to learn a variety of new technologies and programming styles.
- The ability to communicate with users, both in order to understand exactly what their needs are and how we can help, and to guide them in the best way to take full advantage of the solutions on offer.
- Some experience with Python, F#
- A proven track record of full stack engineering and experience with a frontend technology, ideally TypeScript.
Key Technologies: Microservices, Kubernetes, Kafka, NiFi, Spark, Angular, SQL, Agile, TDD
Why should you apply?
- Highly competitive compensation plus annual discretionary bonus
- Informal dress code and work/life balance
- Comprehensive healthcare and life assurance
- 25 days holiday
- 9% pension contribution
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Subsidised gym membership
- Monthly company events
- Central London office close to 5 stations and 6 tube lines