Site Reliability Engineer (Low Latency)
Imagine writing the code at the core of your company’s success
G-Research is a leading quantitative research and technology company. By using the latest scientific techniques, we produce world-beating predictive research and build advanced technology to analyse the world’s data.
Software Engineering is core to our business. By designing and implementing real-time systems, our engineers are solving some of the world’s most complex financial problems.
The Low Latency Engineering Group is responsible for a low-latency trading system that is a critical part of a global investment platform. The group includes teams responsible for market-data, order-entry and order-execution functions.
The group produces software that runs in a high-performance Linux environment written in a mixture of C++ and C#. The software runs in data-centres that are co-located with stock exchanges around the world. The scale of our deployment, and the tight performance and reliability requirements of our platform, means we require a highly standardised and automated Linux environment.
We are looking for a Site Reliability Engineer to bring their knowledge and experience of automating and tuning Linux systems and apply it to our global low-latency investment environment. You will begin by building a Greenfield pipeline to construct a running trading system from the bare metal upwards.
Your key responsibilities are:
- Building a pipeline to automatically configure high-performance Linux machines around the world
- Extending that pipeline to configure and deploy the in-house trading platform
- Building and automating a low-latency testing lab
- Enabling the Low Latency Group to experiment with system latency improvements
- Working closely with the rest of the Low Latency Engineering group
We give people time to learn and develop – including one day a fortnight to work on your own ideas and the opportunity to attend training and conferences.
Who are we looking for?
You will have:
- A proven track record of automation and Continuous Delivery on Linux
- In-depth understanding of Linux
- Good knowledge of networking fundamentals
- The ability to quickly leverage off the shelf and open source systems
- The ability to communicate well with people with a range of backgrounds and specialism
- Knowledge of tuning Linux systems for low-latency is an advantage, but not a pre-requisite
Why should you apply?
- Highly competitive compensation plus annual discretionary bonus
- Informal dress code and excellent work/life balance
- Comprehensive healthcare and life assurance
- 25 days holiday
- Monthly company events
- Central London office close to 5 stations and 6 tube lines