Software Engineering Manager – Engineering Tools
Imagine writing the code at the core of your company’s success.
G-Research is a leading quantitative research and technology company. By using the latest scientific techniques, we produce world-beating predictive research and build advanced technology to analyse the world’s data.
Software Engineering is core to our business. By designing and implementing real-time systems, our engineers are solving some of the world’s most complex financial problems.
The Engineering Tools team is responsible for providing a cutting edge environment for building, testing and deploying software, such as Kubernetes and .NET on Linux, whilst also providing a frictionless secure development experience and accelerating feedback and deployment cycles.
Solutions developed by the team combine off the shelf components such as GitHub Enterprise, Jenkins and Docker with in-house systems, to solve the unique problem of developing a platform which incorporates secure source code.
The key responsibilities of the role are as follows:
- Define the roadmap for engineering tools in collaboration with stakeholders across the business
- Help steer the technical direction of the team, ensuring that software architecture scales to the needs of the company
- Manage your team of 12 software engineers and assist them with day to day issues
- Take part in code reviews, help to onboard new arrivals and ensure that the team’s code is of a high quality
- Use quantitative measurement and fast feedback to drive continuous improvement in your team’s working practices
- Some hands on development in C#, Java or Python where required.
Who are we looking for?
The ideal candidate will be a hands-on manager/architect with a proven ability to manage teams that develop and deliver high quality software. We’re looking for a person who is passionate about DevOps and the SDLC with a thorough understanding of complex distributed systems, diverse workflows and the ability to suggest creative solutions to difficult problems. An ability to keep track of the fast moving world of open source and commercial tooling is also vital.
It is expected that there will be some hands-on coding, particularly for prototyping or proof of concept work and for carrying out code reviews. The individual will therefore need to be able to complete a technical test and pass technical programming interviews.
The following skills and experience are desired:
- 8+ years of commercial software development experience.
- Experience managing a team of high-performing software engineers
- Excellent OO programming skills, ideally in C#.
- Proven in depth knowledge of software/systems architecture and core algorithms & data structures.
- Excellent academics – good A-level results combined with a 2.1 or better from a top tier university in computer science or similar.
Why should you apply?
- Highly competitive compensation plus annual discretionary bonus
- Informal dress code and excellent work/life balance
- 25 days holiday
- Contributory pension scheme
- Subsidised gym membership
- Monthly company events
- Central London office close to 5 stations and 6 tube lines