Technology & Operations
SQL Server DBA Contractor (3-6 months)
G-Research is a leading quantitative research and technology company. By using the latest scientific techniques, we produce world-beating predictive research and build advanced technology to analyse the world’s data.
We are developing the next generation of infrastructure that can effortlessly scale and flex. This capability allows us to adapt to the demanding needs of the business to process and analyse large and varied data sets at speed.
We’re looking for a SQL Server Database Administrator for an initial 3-6 month contract to work within the existing Database Engineering team and help accelerate our migrations to SQL Server 2017 from 2012 and higher. You will take ownership of the project; building environments of varying complexity including Clustering and AlwaysOn Availability groups. The role will also involve liaising with various teams to test and migrate their databases whilst ensuring minimal downtime and user impact. You will:
- Design, plan and execute storage migrations and SQL Server version upgrades for a large SQL Server estate
- Design and build of business-critical multi-site environments utilising HADR technologies such as Clustering, Log-Shipping and Availability Groups
- Working with the wider engineering and operational teams such as Storage, Networks and Datacenter to ensure servers are built and installed to consistent standards and configurations
- Working closely with developers – undertaking pre and post migration performance testing and rollback contingency planning
- Performing out-of-hours work as required for any systems that are identified as too sensitive to migrateupgrade during working hours
- Producing storage and estate capacity reports for management, highlighting project delivery progress
- Documentation of processes and procedures
Who are we looking for?
You will have:
- A minimum 5 years’ experience as a Production SQL Server DBA in a business critical environment
- Exposure to most aspects of Database Administration using SQL Server 2012 and higher
- Demonstrable experience of performing large scale upgrade, migration or consolidation projects
- Experienced in configuring, implementing and troubleshooting HA/DR features such as Clustering, AG and Log shipping
- Experienced in scripting to perform automation and maintenance tasks
- Ability to deliver high quality, methodical and process driven work
- Strong verbal and written communication skills