Technology & Operations
Infrastructure Operations Analyst (VMware, Active Directory, PowerShell)
G-Research is a leading quantitative research and technology company. By using the latest scientific techniques, we produce world-beating predictive research and build advanced technology to analyse the world’s data.
Software Engineering is core to our business. By designing and implementing real-time systems, our engineers are solving some of the world’s most complex financial problems.
The Infrastructure Operations team provides 3rd line support, along with routine upgrades for the virtualisation platforms (scale-out/hyper-converged), virtual desktop infrastructure, Microsoft Exchange and multiple Active Directory domains.
The team is also responsible for assisting support the grid compute system used for research, storage platforms and a number of third party products for Source Control and File Replication.
Our environment currently consists of a significant number of machines and is growing rapidly. This includes a sizeable and growing Linux server estate, for which all virtualisation and storage platforms have to cater.
As an Infrastructure Operations Analyst, your responsibilities will include:
• Responding to support tickets raised by customers, or escalated up from the general help desk
• Responding to alerts raised internally for system error or poor performance
• Raising tickets with third parties to troubleshoot and resolve issues with hardware and software
• Identifying routine activities and automating them, to improve speed and consistency for support and provisioning tasks
• Using Jira and Confluence to detail changes made and update system documentation
The role will operate on a shift rota, including overnight on call duties after a sufficient level of competency has been reached. Intermittent international travel will likely be required as the environment is not all in London.
Who are we looking for?
You will have broad technical IT knowledge with at least two years’ experience of Infrastructure, including the following:
- Good knowledge of most of the following:
- Active Directory, Exchange, Windows Server
- VMware (VSphere/Horizon), vSAN and related technologies
- Experience deploying or working with Virtual Desktop Infrastructure solutions, and storage platforms and industry standard backup products
- Scripting/Programming background to automate established workflows – ideally with PowerShell
- Strong problem solving skills
- Ability to communicate technical information clearly to both technical and non-technical audiences
Why should you apply?
- Highly competitive compensation plus annual discretionary bonus
- Informal dress code and excellent work/life balance
- Comprehensive healthcare and life assurance
- 25 days holiday
- 9% company pension contributions
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Subsidised gym membership
- Monthly company events
- Central London office close to 5 stations and 6 tube lines