Quant Platform Software Engineer
G-Research is a leading quantitative research and technology company. By using the latest scientific techniques, we produce world-beating predictive research and build advanced technology to analyse the world’s data.
Software Engineering is core to our business. By designing and implementing real-time systems, our engineers are solving some of the world’s most complex financial problems.
The Quant Platform Engineering group has been at the core of G-Research profitability for over 15 years. We do this by moving fast and reinvesting in our people and technology.
The mission of the team is to provide engineering and technical expertise to enable the business to rapidly capitalise on new opportunities and research ideas. The role is technically challenging, and requires an ability to rapidly adapt to new technologies such that the firm’s technological advantage is maintained. The interview process for this role is for the Quant Platform group as a whole. Offers are made into specific teams based on candidate preference and suitability which are assessed throughout the process. The different aspects of the group include teams focusing on:
- Core calculations – here we scale out performant number crunching capabilities that drive the entire firm.
- Modelling – building the core capabilities and assisting quant researchers in our cutting edge prediction capabilities.
- Simulation – back-testing frameworks for validating the strategies our researchers produce and for assessing their ongoing performance.
- Execution – software for optimising a live portfolio trading 24/6 for our customers, with real money at stake.
- Research tooling – front end UX and workflow for our quant researchers.
The core tech stack is C# productionised in our own datacentres. There is rapidly growing use of Python in the group and we use the latest compiler/toolchain available – .NET Core and Python 3, deploying to Kubernetes.
To give a flavour of the work we do, here are some of our recent projects:
- Low level performance optimisations in our core simulation engine, unlocking the next advances in quant research.
- Implementing a greenfield microservice architecture for the research pipeline – greenfield with real customers and value-add.
- Evolving our trading platform to trade new assets in new markets.
- Assisting researchers in implementing new statistical modelling methods, based on recently published research.
- Contributing back to open source projects.
Who are we looking for?
- Intelligent, capable and hands-on engineer with a genuine interest in technology.
- Proven ability to engineer high-quality software.
- Appreciation of good architecture and engineering best practices.
- Confidence to experiment with new ideas and technologies.
- Ability to engineer and own solutions that will be relied upon by many users and deployed to machines in large compute clusters.
- Financial or statistical background advantageous; all backgrounds welcome.
Why should you apply?
- Exposure to some of the world’s most foremost quant researchers, working on varied and challenging engineering projects
- There is flexibility of role within the group and internal mobility is encouraged within the company as a whole
- Highly competitive compensation plus annual discretionary bonus
- Informal dress code and work/life balance
- Comprehensive healthcare and life assurance
- 9% pension contribution
- 25 days holiday
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Subsidised gym membership
- Monthly company events
- Central London office close to 5 stations and 6 tube lines