Software Engineer (Security Team)
Imagine writing the code at the core of your company’s success
G-Research is a leading quantitative research and technology company. By using the latest scientific techniques, we produce world-beating predictive research and build advanced technology to analyse the world’s data.
Software Engineering is core to our business. By designing and implementing real-time systems, our engineers are solving some of the world’s most complex financial problems.
Security of in-house software development is central to the business’ goals. Most of our systems are developed in C#, but we also utilise Java, modern web technologies, big data stacks & associated languages. Reporting into the Security Development Team Manager, the candidate will be working alongside a mix of software developers and security specialists. The key responsibilities of the role are:
- Developing & maintaining security application back & front ends, such as:
- Information flow visualisation
- Asset classification + management software
- Cryptographic key management
- Security risk metric + analysis
- Developing security libraries and controls:
- Shared security components for use by the engineering division
- Bespoke security tools & controls for use by the security division
- Integrating third party security technology (e.g. authentication).
- Contributing to architecture and team outreach regarding secure development lifecycle
- Maturing software engineering & quality practices within Information Security
- Working closely with other developer teams to ensure security best practice
Team development challenges include solutions for code integrity, cloud enablement of high-assurance software, build chain security, dependency management, endpoint authentication & attestation, data tagging & flow control, and sandboxing. We are required to meet both high usability and high availability standards in our security technology.
Who should apply?
You will be a competent and intelligent software engineer with an established skillset. In order to develop security software with good usability and availability characteristics, experience in full stack and front-end development is welcome as well as security-focused development. An interest in computer security is required; prior experience is not necessary but is advantageous. The candidate should be willing to cross-train to develop their security expertise and this role offers exceptional opportunities for skills and career development.
We are considering candidates with three or more years of experience up to a senior level. Any subset of the following skills is desired:
- Proven ability to develop high quality software in a statically typed object-oriented language. Refactoring skills welcome.
- Experienced using modern development practices in a team setting
- Agile, Continuous Delivery, TDD, BDD.
- Open source development experience.
- Experience with cloud computing software stacks
- Apache Hadoop stack including Metron, Nifi, Spark
- Containerisation & scalable deployment of software.
- UI/Frontend development skills including an appreciation of the user experience
- Data visualisation & visualisation libraries (e.g. D3)
- Angular, HTML/CSS, graphic design.
- Recent work portfolios welcome.
- Appreciation of good software architecture and knowledge of platform internals
- g. compilers, language VMs, operating systems, assembly code.
- Good communication skills – the successful candidate will act as a conduit between the information security team and the other software teams within the business.
- Strong academics – good A-level (or equivalent) results combined with a 2.1 or better from a top university in computer science/software engineering.
- Candidates from all commercial backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Why should you apply?
- Highly competitive compensation plus annual discretionary bonus
- Informal dress code and excellent work/life balance
- Comprehensive healthcare and life assurance
- 25 days holiday
- 9% contributory pension scheme
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Subsidised gym membership
- Monthly company events
- Central London office close to 5 stations and 6 tube lines