Data Engineering Manager
G-Research is Europe’s leading quantitative finance research firm. We hire the brightest minds in the world to tackle some of the biggest questions in finance. We pair this expertise with machine learning, big data, and some of the most advanced technology available to predict movements in financial markets.
We are looking for someone to lead our Aggregate Data team, which forms part of the Data Engineering Group at G-Research. We are a team of enthusiastic, highly collaborative developers responsible for near-real time market data processing systems that deliver aggregated quantities of data to trading critical processes.
We work with and distribute data from many exchange sources and serve multiple resilient near-realtime options to our customers in the company. Our software runs in Kubernetes clusters across multiple sites and our services are critical for the firm. We also own and manage the storage of aggregated quantities for all of history for research and trading systems, and regularly work with researchers at the firm to productionise new methods of aggregating data that can be used as part of the investment platform.
We constantly strive to improve our platform whilst making high impact, meaningful change to the business. We often make use of advanced and open source languages and software. The majority of our estate comprises of continuously delivered backend services written in Kotlin, with heavy use of Kafka, Linux/k8s amongst other technologies in our stack.
The key responsibilities of the role are as follows:
- Manage a high performing development team of seven software engineers
- Steer, and contribute to, the technical deliverables of the team, ensuring that the requirements of the business are met
- Identify gaps between current and desired future state and define the practical concrete steps to meet the change required
- Positively engage people by articulating the vision to drive an open and progressive work environment
- Define the strategic roadmap for Aggregate Data in collaboration with stakeholders across the business
- Report quarterly to the Executive Management Team on the progress towards high-level goals and commitments
- Collaborate with the Data Engineering leadership team to identify and align areas of strategic overlap, prioritising the success of the Data Engineering function and avoiding tunnel-vision within teams
- Contribute to the wider engineering landscape within G-Research, communicating our ideas, plans and practices
Who are we looking for?
You will have a hands-on approach and a proven ability to manage teams that develop and deliver high-quality software. As well as leadership experience, we are looking for a person who has experience with large-scale data engineering and a thorough understanding of complex distributed systems, diverse workflows and the ability to suggest creative solutions to difficult problems.
Prior experience with near-real time distributed systems is desirable, but also important to us is having an ability to see how our aggregate data product and system capabilities fit into the wider picture at G-Research. We want a manager who shares our passion and excitement for taking our platforms forward and who can use their vision to inspire and drive the team.
The ideal candidate will possess the following skills and experience:
- Experience managing and motivating a team of high-performing software engineers
- Experience in engineering high throughput data platforms, using modern open-source languages/technologies
- Experience of data architecture practices and technologies
- Practical expertise in a JVM or .NET language and experience of Kubernetes
- Track record in delivering high quality systems
- Commercial approach to business delivery and results
- Ability to lead through change
Why should you apply?
- Highly competitive hourly rate of pay
- Informal dress code and work/life balance
- Comprehensive healthcare and life assurance
- 25 days holiday
- 9% company pension contribution
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Subsidised gym membership
- Monthly company events
- Central London office close to 5 stations and 6 tube lines
G-Research is committed to cultivating and preserving an inclusive work environment. We are an ideas-driven business and we place great value on diversity of experience and opinions.
We want to ensure that applicants receive a recruitment experience that enables them to perform at their best. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation please let us know in the relevant section.Apply