Architecture Runway Engineer
G-Research is Europe’s leading quantitative finance research firm. We hire the brightest minds in the world to tackle some of the biggest questions in finance. We pair this expertise with machine learning, big data, and some of the most advanced technology available to predict movements in financial markets.
This position is based in our CTO Office, which co-ordinates G-Research’s technology strategy and vision. The company has grown rapidly over the past few years and has a large and varied technology estate which is undergoing rapid change. The CTO is responsible for future technology direction for the business and ensuring that requirements are articulated clearly for the Engineering organisation.
As G-Research matures and develops its technology platforms, we regularly explore transformative change to the technologies, methods and approaches to system development. Our Architecture Runway will provide a framework of conventions, reference designs and implementable patterns that make adopting new approaches straightforward.
Working within the CTO Architecture Practice and alongside development teams, the successful candidate will elaborate, prototype and evangelise the new foundational capabilities which are aligned to our strategic goals and allow new features to be engineered and released faster.
Key responsibilities of the role include:
- Working alongside other engineering teams to build and develop exemplar and proofs-of-concept which practically demonstrate how key concepts and strategic intents can be realised concretely in technology
- Developing supporting libraries and frameworks to form the basis for future enterprise-wide approaches and services
- Acting as a key evangelist of standards and patterns to drive improvements in interoperability and assurance
- Providing support, guidance and consultancy to engineering teams on how they can integrate your patterns into their products
- Working with engineering teams across the organisation to help them make key strategic shifts in technology
- Identifying feature and functionality gaps in current products and work with the Technology Innovation Group to investigate new software and technology
- Working alongside the lead Runway Architect to support our Engineering Technical Governance Team in providing organisation-wide guidance on best practice
Who are we looking for?
The successful candidate will be a strong, competent and practical software engineer with a proven ability to deliver high-quality software. You will have experience across the full stack and will already know multiple programming languages, platforms and paradigms.
Ideally you will also demonstrate the following:
- Full stack engineering competence across infrastructure, application and data technologies
- Recent and hands-on development skills in at least one of Python, C#, Go or C++
- Development of high performance and/or highly distributed systems
- Sound technical background in system design, engineering or development
- Ability to identify and conceptualise new frameworks or shared capabilities
- Experience in developing within modern application and cloud technologies (e.g. Kubernetes, CI/CD principles, microservices, infrastructure-as-code)
- A good understanding of data storage technologies (RDBMS, NoSQL, filestorage, etc) and the engineering challenges around distributing them geographically
- Strong communication skills with the ability to interrogate current implementations and identify commonality
- Strong analytical thinking with the ability to gain a good understanding of a problem or situation by breaking it down systematically into its components, identifying the relationships between these parts, and selecting the appropriate methods/tools to resolve the problem such that learning is identified and absorbed
- Able to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team but also being known as a self-starter with a proactive approach
- The soft skills and experience of working with people to ensure that you are sensitive to the views of others, and be able to discover how to work with a rich variety of different stakeholders
One thing all successful candidates have in common is a passion to use technology, new concepts and new ideas to solve complicated problems.
Why should you apply?
- Highly competitive compensation plus annual discretionary bonus
- Informal dress code and excellent work/life balance
- Comprehensive healthcare and life assurance
- 25 days holiday
- 9% contributory pension scheme
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Subsidised gym membership
- Monthly company events
- Central London office close to 5 stations and 6 tube lines
G-Research is committed to cultivating and preserving an inclusive work environment. We are an ideas-driven business and we place great value on diversity of experience and opinions.
We want to ensure that applicants receive a recruitment experience that enables them to perform at their best. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation please let us know in the relevant section.Apply