Technical Support Placement Year
G-Research is Europe’s leading quantitative finance research firm. We hire the brightest minds in the world to tackle some of the biggest questions in finance. We pair this expertise with machine learning, big data, and some of the most advanced technology available to predict movements in financial markets.
This is an exciting opportunity for a student studying for a Computer Science, Computer Systems, Cyber Security or Networks-related degree to join our Technical Support team as part of a placement year in industry.
Working across our Corporate IT division, you will spend the year as a crucial member of the Technical Support group, troubleshooting, advising, and providing great service to a range of stakeholders, including senior staff. You will be working alongside a mentor and experienced members of the team who will provide continuous support and guidance, enabling you to learn rapidly and contribute effectively to the business.
The successful candidate will be a part of a team that deals with a large range of technologies in a fast-paced environment spread across multiple sites, primarily based in London.
Your responsibilities (and the technologies you will work with) include:
- Active Directory: machine access changes and other various authorisation controls
- Mobile Device Management: enrolling users on corporate mobile devices or BYOD profiles
- Creating, using and updating scripts, in particular with PowerShell, to automate daily tasks
- You will be working predominantly with Windows, with some Linux systems and support
- IT troubleshooting
- Networking fundamentals: working on connectivity issues on workstations and servers
- Enterprise architecture: troubleshooting user mailboxes, setting up public folders, creating/updating distribution groups and security groups
Who are we looking for?
To be eligible for this role, you must be studying a sandwich degree. It will suit someone who has a real interest in IT and an aptitude for applying computing concepts and their skills to solve real problems. Additionally, applicants should be:
- Studying a technology degree (Computer Science, Computer Systems, Security or Networks) and on track towards obtaining a 2:1 or above
- Highly organised and motivated
- Willing to learn with a positive can do attitude
- Experienced customer service with a strong technical and methodical approach to any given task
Why should you apply?
- Extensive on-site and online training including licences to top training portals
- Competitive compensation
- Informal dress code and excellent work/life balance
- Comprehensive healthcare and life assurance
- 25 days holiday pro-rata
- Contributory pension scheme
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Subsidised gym membership
- Monthly company events
- Central London office close to 5 stations and 6 tube lines
Please note: While we are accepting applications we may not be in touch until September, with interviews starting in October. Additionally, we are only able to progress with candidates enrolled on a sandwich degree with a graduation date in 2024.
G-Research is committed to cultivating and preserving an inclusive work environment. We are an ideas-driven business and we place great value on diversity of experience and opinions.
We want to ensure that applicants receive a recruitment experience that enables them to perform at their best. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation please let us know in the relevant section.Apply