Linux Platform Engineer
G-Research is Europe’s leading quantitative finance research firm. We hire the brightest minds in the world to tackle some of the biggest questions in finance. We pair this expertise with machine learning, big data, and some of the most advanced technology available to predict movements in financial markets.
G-Research is going through an exciting period of growth and transforming the way we run and build platforms. The PaaS function is responsible for delivering a number of platforms, ranging from Kubernetes clusters to NoSQL distributed platforms, all running on Linux.
Within the PaaS function we have a dedicated Linux Engineering team responsible for engineering and operating a number of systems, whilst also providing platform build automation expertise and third-line Linux engineering support to the rest of the PaaS teams.
The Linux Platform Engineering team is passionate about using the best technology, processes and frameworks available. There is a big focus on applying automation, Infrastructure as Code and using CI tools and methodologies in all of our engineering work. Using open source tooling and best practices we are helping increase the pace of delivery.
You will be working on projects that are critical to the success of our business. We solve incredibly difficult problems using the best tools available for the job, and will rapidly extend the use of new technologies, providing excellent growth and advancement opportunities.
We are working hard to embed a continuous improvement culture and philosophy across the organisation and are striving to learn from the best practitioners in the industry. We are looking for highly motivated, self-starters with a DevOps/Linux background to join and help deliver value across the PaaS function.
Who are we looking for?
The ability to learn quickly and collaborate effectively are valued over a particular list of skills but the successful candidate will be an experienced engineer, with strong Linux and automation skills, who is able to:
- Work with platform engineers and directly with research users to unlock productivity via best practices, automation and optimistation
- Improve platform build automation/Infrastructure as Code using tools such as Terraform, Ansible and Jenkins
- Develop and refine scripting in various languages such as bash, python and groovy
- Apply test-driven development techniques to infrastructure
- Develop and deploy containerised workloads
- Work with software packaging tools and repositories to produce and deploy custom packages
- Manage and support traditional NFS and distributed storage architectures
- Liaise with the Core Linux Engineering team to ensure a seamless lifecycle transition
- Debug and diagnose low level Linux issues throughout the stack – kernel, filesystem, network, etc.
- Liaise with third-party vendors for support issues
- Take responsible steps to ensure first line of defence security is designed, enabled and acted upon
- Document best practices, designs and operation guides
- Participate in an on-call/support rota
Why should you apply?
- Highly competitive compensation plus annual discretionary bonus
- Informal dress code and excellent work/life balance
- Comprehensive healthcare and life assurance
- 25 days holiday
- Pension scheme with 9% company contribution
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Subsidised gym membership
- Monthly company events
- Central London office close to 5 stations and 6 tube lines
G-Research is committed to cultivating and preserving an inclusive work environment. We are an ideas-driven business and we place great value on diversity of experience and opinions.
We want to ensure that applicants receive a recruitment experience that enables them to perform at their best. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation please let us know in the relevant section.Apply