Platform Engineering Placement Year
G-Research is Europe’s leading quantitative finance research firm. We hire the brightest minds in the world to tackle some of the biggest questions in finance. We pair this expertise with machine learning, big data, and some of the most advanced technology available to predict movements in financial markets.
The Platform as a Service (PaaS) team are looking for a placement student to join the team and rotate across three of their core teams. These teams are responsible for providing the cutting edge compute and big data platforms that power GR's world-beating quantitative research. To begin, students will join the Linux Platform Engineering team before rotating to either the Big Data Platform Engineering team or the Database Platform Engineering team.
Responsibilities will include areas such as:
- Working on projects around OS lifecycle automation and automation of data platforms
- Participating in the BAU activities of PaaS teams:
- Setting up new systems
- Patching systems to keep software up-to-date
- Decommissioning old systems
- Debugging problems
- Responding to support tickets
This is an excellent opportunity for an ambitious student to work and gain experience with industry leading technology growing, fast-paced company.
Who are we looking for?
We are looking for a student with a demonstrable interest in IT and an aptitude for applying computing concepts and technical skills to solve real problems.
The ideal candidate will be:
- Studying a technology degree (Computer Science, Computer Systems, or similar) and on track towards obtaining a 2:1 or above
- Highly organised and well-motivated self-starter
- Willing to learn with a positive attitude
- Detail-oriented with a passion for research and development
- Experienced in programming, testing, and debugging applications written in both Python and Java
- Able to demonstrate an understanding of object orientated programming, computer networking and security
Why should you apply?
- Competitive compensation
- Informal dress code and excellent work/life balance
- Comprehensive healthcare and life assurance
- 25 days holiday pro-rata
- Contributory pension scheme
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Subsidised gym membership
- Monthly company events
- Central London office close to 5 stations and 6 tube lines
Please note: We are only able to progress with candidates enrolled on a sandwich degree with a graduation date in 2024.
G-Research is committed to cultivating and preserving an inclusive work environment. We are an ideas-driven business and we place great value on diversity of experience and opinions.
We want to ensure that applicants receive a recruitment experience that enables them to perform at their best. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation please let us know in the relevant section.Apply