Data Engineer - PaaS
G-Research is Europe’s leading quantitative finance research firm. We hire the brightest minds in the world to tackle some of the biggest questions in finance. We pair this expertise with machine learning, big data, and some of the most advanced technology available to predict movements in financial markets.
The Data Serving Platform team are looking for a talented Data Engineer to join us in taking the company's data strategy to the next level through a data mesh architecture.
Our team's mission is to enable autonomous teams to easily create data products which are discoverable, addressable, scalable, interoperable, trustworthy and secure.
We are currently building out a number of greenfield projects including:
- A data serving layer enabling large compute farms to access any dataset in the organisation at terabit scale
- Leveraging and improving an open-source data catalog platform to allow decoupling of data producers and consumers via flexible producer-defined metadata
- An architecture for live data streaming to enable new data flows between our trading platforms
Our systems support both researchers and quant platform engineering functions and underpin the data mesh vision of the company. We are a friendly and collaborative team who work to maintain a strong engineering culture.
Key responsibilities of the role include:
- Designing and building scalable distributed systems which allow users and applications to interact flexibly with data at scale
- Forming close relationships with stakeholders to help them onboard to the data platform and to modernise architectures. This will likely also involve contributions to their codebases
- Working with modern open-source platforms, improving them via code contributions and running them on our in-house cloud infrastructure
- Working across the full project lifecycle, including design, development, testing, CI/CD, and operational support
Who are we looking for?
The ideal candidate will have:
- Experience building and working with microservices, distributed systems and event-driven architectures
- A pragmatic approach to engineering high-quality software that will be relied upon by many users and deployed to machines in large compute clusters
- A desire to stay on top of the latest technologies and practices
- Strong skills in at least one of Kotlin, Java, C#, Python
- Drive to constantly find new ways to make solutions faster, better and lower-maintenance
- Curiosity to understand the big picture of how data is used across G-Research and to reach out to prospective data producers and consumers
- Passion for decoupled data platforms and a data mesh strategy
- Experience of agile methodologies and a familiarity with retrospectives and continuous improvement processes
- Financial experience is not required
Advantageous experience includes:
- Interacting with diverse data platforms: RDBMS (SQL Server, PostgreSQL), NoSQL (Cassandra, Aerospike, Elastic), HDFS, NFS/CIFS, Kafka
- Big data technologies: Spark, Hadoop
Why should you apply?
- Highly competitive compensation plus annual discretionary bonus
- Informal dress code and excellent work/life balance
- Comprehensive healthcare and life assurance
- 25 days holiday
- Contributory pension scheme
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Subsidised gym membership
- Monthly company events
- Central London office close to 5 stations and 6 tube lines
G-Research is committed to cultivating and preserving an inclusive work environment. We are an ideas-driven business and we place great value on diversity of experience and opinions.
We want to ensure that applicants receive a recruitment experience that enables them to perform at their best. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation please let us know in the relevant section.Apply