Data Platform DevOps Engineer
G-Research is Europe’s leading quantitative finance research firm. We hire the brightest minds in the world to tackle some of the biggest questions in finance. We pair this expertise with machine learning, big data, and some of the most advanced technology available to predict movements in financial markets.
The Data Serving Platform team are looking for talented Platform/DevOps Engineers to join us in taking the company's data strategy to the next level through a data mesh architecture.
Our team's mission is to enable autonomous teams to easily create data products which are discoverable, addressable, scalable, interoperable, trustworthy and secure. We are currently building out a number of greenfield systems, with the aim of providing them as platforms-as-a-service. These include:
- Leveraging and improving an open-source Data Catalog platform (DataHub) to allow decoupling of data producers and consumers via flexible producer-defined metadata
- An in-house data serving layer enabling large compute farms to access any dataset in the organisation at terabit scale
- An architecture for live data streaming to enable new data flows between our platforms
Key responsibilities of the role include:
- Leading the productionisation and commoditisation of open-source and in-house data platform components
- Integrating and optimising sub-systems like Kafka, ElasticSearch and Cassandra
- Automating the deployment and monitoring of scalable distributed systems which allow users and applications to flexibly interact with data at scale
- Working with modern open-source platforms, improving them via code contributions and running them on our in-house cloud infrastructure
- Using Infrastructure as Code to provide self-service platforms to our stakeholders
- Working across the full project lifecycle, including design, development, testing, CI/CD, and operational support
Who are we looking for?
The ideal candidate will have:
- Experience providing open source systems such as platforms-as-a-service
- Experience integrating components with data platform back-ends such as Kafka, ElasticSearch, Cassandra and graph databases
- Knowledge of deployment automation tooling such as Terraform and Ansible
- A DevOps and SRE mind-set focused on delivering reliable and secure self-service platforms
- Development skills to contribute to the codebases of in-house and open-source applications
- Experience working with microservices, distributed systems and event driven architectures
- Technical experience setting up, supporting and monitoring high performance, scalable and resilient solutions
- A desire to stay informed on the latest technologies and practices
- Drive to constantly find new ways to make solutions faster, better and lower-maintenance
- Passion for decoupled data platforms and a data mesh strategy
- Experience of agile methodologies and a familiarity with retrospectives and continuous improvement processes
Why should you apply?
- Highly competitive compensation plus annual discretionary bonus
- Informal dress code and excellent work/life balance
- Comprehensive healthcare and life assurance
- 25 days holiday
- Pension scheme with 9% company contribution
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Subsidised gym membership
- Monthly company events
- Central London office close to 5 stations and 6 tube lines
G-Research is committed to cultivating and preserving an inclusive work environment. We are an ideas-driven business and we place great value on diversity of experience and opinions.
We want to ensure that applicants receive a recruitment experience that enables them to perform at their best. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation please let us know in the relevant section.Apply