G-Research is Europe’s leading quantitative finance research firm. We hire the brightest minds in the world to tackle some of the biggest questions in finance. We pair this expertise with machine learning, big data, and some of the most advanced technology available to predict movements in financial markets.
The Tick Data team are part of the Data Engineering Group at G-Research. We are enthusiastic, highly collaborative developers responsible for building platforms and tools to manage, process, and deliver our entire catalogue of tick-by-tick exchange data for research.
The team uses cutting-edge technologies to store, transform, and serve this multi-petabyte dataset to meet the high-performance expectations of our Research teams.
We constantly strive to improve our platform whilst making high impact, meaningful change to the business. We often make use of advanced and open source languages and software. The majority of our estate comprises of continuously delivered backend services written in Kotlin, running on k8s, using various SQL and NoSQL databases, faced with Angular UIs written in Typescript.
The key responsibilities of the role are as follows:
- Identifying and resolving data quality issues in research-critical data whilst minimising disruption
- Designing and implementing high-quality reports and visualisations
- Owning and leading project work on a regular basis, managing stakeholder expectations and working with senior people in the firm
- Assessing new technologies and their place within our team estate, and the wider engineering organisation
- Participate in our regular team retrospectives, and other feedback processes to help continuously improve our team system of work
We give people in the team time to learn and develop - including regular 10% time to work on your own ideas, and the opportunity to attend training and conferences.
Who are we looking for?
We are looking for a Data Analyst to help us identify gaps and quality issues in our data, working closely with the team and external teams to report, prioritise, and resolve these issues. You should be able to understand complex, diverse workflows, and suggest and contribute to automating future fixes to data quality issues. Prior experience of exchange data is very beneficial, but equally important is an ability to see how this data fits into the bigger picture at G-Research, underpinning the work of other teams.
The ideal candidate will have the following skills and experience:
- Experience analysing vast and diverse datasets
- Keen interest ETL/data flow pipelines
- Practical expertise with notebooks and visualisations e.g. Jupyter
- Demonstrable experience with data query languages e.g. SQL, Python, Scala
- Exposure to a JVM/web-based language and software engineering practices, or a passion to develop in this area
- A determined and hard-working outlook, with the ability to communicate well with technical and non-technical people
- A demonstrable desire to stay informed on the latest technologies and practice
Financial experience may be useful but is not required. Candidates from non-financial backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Why should you apply?
- Highly competitive compensation plus annual discretionary bonus
- Informal dress code and work/life balance
- Comprehensive healthcare and life assurance
- 25 days holiday
- 9% company pension contributions
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Subsidised gym membership
- Monthly company events
- Central London office close to 5 stations and 6 tube lines
G-Research is committed to cultivating and preserving an inclusive work environment. We are an ideas-driven business and we place great value on diversity of experience and opinions.
We want to ensure that applicants receive a recruitment experience that enables them to perform at their best. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation please let us know in the relevant section.Apply