G-Research is Europe’s leading quantitative finance research firm. We hire the brightest minds in the world to tackle some of the biggest questions in finance. We pair this expertise with machine learning, big data, and some of the most advanced technology available to predict movements in financial markets.
The Security Data Engineering team forms part of the Security Detection and Response capability at G-Research, supporting the Security Operations Centre in detecting and responding to malicious activity that could negatively impact the business.
The team is responsible for developing the end-to-end capability required to perform a range of detection and response capabilities across the physical, personnel and cyber domains. We also provide data services to other parts of the organisation to support compliance and operational management.
In this role, you will be contributing to the development and maturity of a Security Data Platform built largely on open-source software deployments, including one OSS project developed wholly by the Security Data Engineering team.
You will be working cooperatively across a range of different teams and will help maintain a view of our security estate for both operational and compliance purposes.
You will also be working with rest of the Security Data Engineering team to:
- Ensure the stability and operation of the security data platform
- Add new data sources to the security data platform
- Support R&D environments for security alerting and UEBA modelling
- Deploy anomaly detection and correlation alerting into production
- Build and maintain scripted run-books and dashboards to support our stakeholders
- Support the deployment and availability of key applications used by the SOC
Key to this role is your ability to engage with partners and build on open source technologies. As such, our data engineers have access to a range of training in the full set of big data technologies as well as access to the leading global conferences relating to data, data science and security.
Who are we looking for?
The ideal candidate will have the following skills and experience:
- Proven, practical experience working with distributed data processing systems, performing complex ETL tasks and managing such systems where they operate at speed and scale
- Highly computer literate with the ability to learn new skills quickly
- Competent in scripting and coding, ideally in Python or Java and with an understanding of software engineering, operating systems, networks, SQL and NoSQL technologies and data structures
- Able to work autonomously, understanding initial requirements, building and supporting data pipelines and ensuring the finished product is fit for purpose
- Open-minded, willing to explore new technologies and able to demonstrate a commitment to continuous personal development
- Strong experience and understanding of big data concepts and technologies such as HDFS, Hive, Spark, Cassandra, Kafka and the ELK stack
- Experience of containerization and orchestration technologies, for example Docker and Kubernetes, and automated deployment pipelines using Git and Jenkins
- Confident designing and implementing ETL workflows, ensuring that they are scalable and resilient, making good use of distributed processing technologies, such as Flink, Storm or Spark
- Good understanding of the principles of infrastructure-as-code and DevOps working patterns
- Highly competent in systems automation and able to support vendor-provided services, deployments of open-source software and internally developed applications
The following would also be beneficial (but not essential):
- Knowledge of hybrid cloud environments, such as AWS or OpenStack
- Experience working within the field of cybersecurity
Why should you apply?
- Highly competitive compensation plus annual discretionary bonus
- Informal dress code and excellent work/life balance
- Comprehensive healthcare and life assurance
- 25 days holiday
- Pension scheme with 9% company contribution
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Subsidised gym membership
- Monthly company events
- Central London office close to 5 stations and 6 tube lines
G-Research is committed to cultivating and preserving an inclusive work environment. We are an ideas-driven business and we place great value on diversity of experience and opinions.
We want to ensure that applicants receive a recruitment experience that enables them to perform at their best. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation please let us know in the relevant section.Apply