Head of Software Engineering Services
G-Research is Europe’s leading quantitative finance research firm. We hire the brightest minds in the world to tackle some of the biggest questions in finance. We pair this expertise with machine learning, big data, and some of the most advanced technology available to predict movements in financial markets.
The Software Engineering Services function provides and creates tools, software and security solutions that accelerate delivery for the rest of the Engineering division by centrally solving shared problems. We have a wide and flexible remit, including delivering SRE and DevSecOps tooling, education and consulting; providing high integrity CI, build and CD systems; and running third party systems (such as GitHub, PagerDuty and Artifactory) that the rest of the company depend on.
We are passionate about the developer experience and helping G-Research’s engineers create secure, high integrity, operationally mature software.,We achieve this by combining the best open source tooling and third party commercial systems with our own custom developed software where needed.
Reporting into a Deputy Head of Engineering, the Head of Software Engineering Services:
- Determines, and is accountable for, the roadmap, technical strategy, headcount and budget for the function, regularly updating and realigning in response to business obstacles and the internal/external environment
- Supports and leads the managers of seven engineering teams within the function
- Drives collaborative cross-team and functional discussions and decisions on priorities (roadmap), technology and people strategy, effectively balancing the needs of the function, Engineering and more broadly across G-Research
- Is able to identify gaps between current and desired future state and define the practical concrete steps to meet the change required, including making pragmatic decisions on the trade-off between building for the future and tactical resolution of immediate issues
- Is knowledgeable and passionate about developer experience, security, integrity and operational excellence
- Is an evangelist for SES, and positively engages people by articulating the vision for the development platform and development and operational best practices at G-Research
- Drives a performance-led, growth mindset culture across the function
- Develops engineering talent and leadership within and across the function
- Fosters an environment of change and innovation, using knowledge of internal and external environment to seek out improvement and innovation opportunities
- Is accountable for the security and risk environment across the function, ensuring our security approach (Three Lines of Defence) and risk-related activities are fully integrated into ways of working
- Uses business knowledge and networks to collaborate proactively on company-wide initiatives
- Builds and maintains effective external/industry knowledge and network
- Identifies and understands financial drivers in strategic planning and estimates project and programme timeline and budgets effectively
Who are we looking for?
You will be an intelligent, capable and distinguished team manager or manager of managers, with a proven ability to lead teams that deliver first-class business value. You will have the breadth of experience necessary to deliver world-beating managerial, technical and thought leadership across a group of high performance specialist teams.
The ideal candidate will have the following skills and experience:
- A background in software development and management of software development projects; demonstrated success in timely and sustained delivery
- A track record of effective stakeholder management and ability to influence in complex, cross-functional environments
- Strong leadership skills and a track record of running organisations with an inclusive culture
- Commercial approach to business delivery and results
- Skilled communicator across all levels in the organisation, with the ability to flex communication approach according to the audience/situation
- Experience in developing high performance teams
- Experience of leading software engineering teams focused around developer experience and productivity
- Effective decision making, considering mid-longer horizon impacts on functional, people and roadmap related decisions
- Excellent interpersonal skills and emotional intelligence
- Experience in people development and leading and growing a team of managers
Why should you apply?
- Highly competitive compensation plus annual discretionary bonus
- Lunch provided (via Just Eat for Business) and dedicated barista bar
- 30 days’ annual leave
- 9% contributory pension scheme
- Informal dress code and excellent work/life balance
- Comprehensive healthcare and life assurance
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Monthly company events
G-Research is committed to cultivating and preserving an inclusive work environment. We are an ideas-driven business and we place great value on diversity of experience and opinions.
We want to ensure that applicants receive a recruitment experience that enables them to perform at their best. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation please let us know in the relevant section.Apply