Database Platform DevOps Engineer
Location : Dallas, TX
G-Research offers remote working within the State of Texas, bringing people together in the office for a number of days every month.
G-Research is Europe’s leading quantitative finance research firm. We hire the brightest minds in the world to tackle some of the biggest questions in finance. We pair this expertise with machine learning, big data, and some of the most advanced technology available to predict movements in financial markets.
This role is based in G-Research’s new office in Dallas. Opened in 2022, the Dallas office is a key infrastructure hub where we work on the latest cloud technologies in a cutting-edge environment.
The Database Platform Engineering team is seeking an engineer with a strong DevOps, Linux and SRE background to join our expanding team.
You will help us deliver automation, feature enhancements and best practice security on our existing hybrid cloud platforms, while also exploring new database tech and integration with other open source products within our ecosystem.
We currently maintain SQL Server, Cassandra, PostgreSQL and Aerospike in a mix of Linux, Windows and Kubernetes/containerised environments. There is a need and desire to explore other database platform offerings, such as Graph or Document Storage, as our systems evolve and scale in line with the G-Research’s ambitious and exciting plans.
There is a significant focus on configuration management, orchestration, Infrastructure as Code and CI/CD.
In return, you will gain exposure to the latest hardware and software technologies in a forward-thinking company that values innovation, personal development and training.
Your key responsibilities will be:
- Helping to shape and engineering solutions across various database platforms, ensuring they are scalable, stable, performant, and operationally efficient
- Maintaining business-critical multi-site platform deployments utilising HADR technologies, such as Clustering, Availability Groups, Patroni and Replication
- Implementing engineering solutions using GitOps and Infrastructure as Code methodology to deliver self-service and pipeline driven deployments
- Utilising (or quickly learning) technologies that will help the team deliver a world class “Database Platform as a Service” offering, such as Terraform, Ansible, AWX, Kubernetes, Jenkins
- Exploring new tooling and automation to enhance both the customer and operational user experience
Who are we looking for?
The Database Platform Engineering team has a mixed set of skills that complement each other. Typically, team members will have strong abilities in one of infrastructure automation, database technologies or software development, and be keen to expand their expertise in other areas.
You will be a self-starter, with an active interest in new technologies and reliable automation engineering.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Production or development experience on any database platform, preferably Linux-based, such as PostgreSQL or Cassandra
- Coding and scripting experience in any language, but ideally Ansible and Python
- Cloud technologies exposure, such as Terraform, TFE, AWS, OpenStack
- CI/CD Pipelines and orchestration experience, such as Jenkins, Unit Testing tooling
- Automation experience and a desire to seek solutions via automation
Why should you apply?
- Market-leading compensation plus annual discretionary bonus
- Informal dress code and excellent work/life balance
- Paid time off, including sick days, military leave, and family and medical leave
- Summer working hours, equivalent of 4 additional days of paid leave
- Generous 401(k) plan
- 12-weeks’ fully paid parental leave
- Medical and Prescription, Dental, and Vision insurance
- Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&D) insurance
- Employee Assistance and Wellness programs
G-Research is committed to cultivating and preserving an inclusive work environment. We are an ideas-driven business and we place great value on diversity of experience and opinions.
We want to ensure that applicants receive a recruitment experience that enables them to perform at their best. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation please let us know in the relevant section.Apply