Data Serving Platform Engineer
Location : Dallas, TX
G-Research offers remote working within the State of Texas, bringing people together in the office for a number of days every month.
G-Research is Europe’s leading quantitative finance research firm. We hire the brightest minds in the world to tackle some of the biggest questions in finance. We pair this expertise with machine learning, big data, and some of the most advanced technology available to predict movements in financial markets.
This role is based in G-Research’s new office in Dallas. Opened in 2022, the Dallas office is a key infrastructure hub where we work on the latest cloud technologies in a cutting-edge environment.
G-Research is looking for a talented Platform/DevOps Engineer to join our Data Serving Platform team to take our data strategy to the next level through a data mesh architecture.
The Data Serving Platform team enables autonomous teams to easily create data products which are discoverable, addressable, scalable, interoperable, trustworthy and secure.
We are currently building out a number of greenfield systems, with the aim of being able to provide them as PaaS.
- They include: leveraging and improving an open source Data Catalogue platform (DataHub) to allow decoupling of data producers and consumers via flexible producer-defined metadata
- An in-house data serving layer to enable large compute farms to access any dataset in the organisation at terabit scale
- An architecture for live data streaming to enable new data flows between our platforms
Key responsibilities of the role include:
- Leading the productionisation and commoditisation of open-source and in-house data platform components
- Integrating and optimising sub-systems like Kafka, ElasticSearch and Cassandra
- Automating the deployment and monitoring of scalable distributed systems which allow users and applications to flexibly interact with data at scale
- Working with, and improving, modern open source platforms, via code contributions and running them on our in-house cloud infrastructure
- Using Infrastructure as Code to provide self-service platforms to our stakeholders
- Working across the full project lifecycle, including design, development, testing, CI/CD, and operational support
Who are we looking for?
You will be passionate about decoupled data platforms and data mesh strategy, with a desire to continuously improve solutions and drive efficiencies.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Experience providing open source systems such as PaaS
- Experience integrating components with data platform back-ends, such as Kafka, ElasticSearch, Cassandra and graph databases
- Knowledge of deployment automation tooling, such as Terraform and Ansible
- A DevOps and SRE mind-set focused on delivering reliable and secure self-service platforms
- Development skills to contribute to the codebases of in-house and open-source applications
- Experience working with microservices, distributed systems and event driven architectures
- Technical experience setting up, supporting and monitoring high performance, scalable and resilient solutions
- A desire to stay informed of the latest technologies and practices
- The drive to constantly find new ways to make solutions faster, better and lower-maintenance
- A passion for decoupled data platforms and a data mesh strategy
- Experience of agile methodologies and a familiarity with retrospectives and continuous improvement processes
Why should you apply?
- Market-leading compensation plus annual discretionary bonus
- Informal dress code and excellent work/life balance
- Paid time off, including sick days, military leave, and family and medical leave
- Summer working hours, equivalent of 4 additional days of paid leave
- Generous 401(k) plan
- 12-weeks’ fully paid parental leave
- Medical and Prescription, Dental, and Vision insurance
- Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&D) insurance
- Employee Assistance and Wellness programs
G-Research is committed to cultivating and preserving an inclusive work environment. We are an ideas-driven business and we place great value on diversity of experience and opinions.
We want to ensure that applicants receive a recruitment experience that enables them to perform at their best. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation please let us know in the relevant section.Apply