Real-Time Big Data Platform Engineer
Location : Dallas, TX
G-Research offers remote working within the State of Texas, bringing people together in the office for a number of days every month.
G-Research is Europe’s leading quantitative finance research firm. We hire the brightest minds in the world to tackle some of the biggest questions in finance. We pair this expertise with machine learning, big data, and some of the most advanced technology available to predict movements in financial markets.
This role is based in G-Research’s new office in Dallas. Opened in 2022, the Dallas office is a key infrastructure hub where we work on the latest cloud technologies in a cutting-edge environment.
G-Research is a fast-growing, software-driven organisation. We use large scale deployments of distributed systems to drive research and monitoring capabilities within the business.
We are looking for DevOps Engineers who specialise in Big Data systems and can help us design, engineer and maintain our key distributed logging and data streaming platforms.
You will join our expanding PaaS technology teams and help drive the expansion of Big Data technologies with an SME focus, as well as grow their reach within the business. You will help shape our infrastructure and build systems of high quality, with a focus on scalability, resiliency, security and automation.
You will be a highly talented self-starter, with a strong DevOps/Linux engineering background, who can act as our distributed streaming and logging platforms SME, with a key focus on Apache Kafka, ELK and Splunk.
Key responsibilities of the role include:
- Owning the design, engineering, monitoring and expansion of the platforms to help deliver a fully featured and secure platform on top of which the business can integrate any application, including trading critical components
- Engineering solutions to enable the platforms to run on public cloud, on-prem, and on-container orchestration technology
- Working closely with various Development and SRE teams to help define standards, best practices, and aid migration and on-boarding on to the platform
- Investigating and staying up-to-date with relevant and alternative technologies in this space to ensure we provide the best of breed products to meet the ever-changing and growing demands of the business
- Managing, maintaining, troubleshooting and performance tuning
Who are we looking for?
The ideal candidate will have experience of:
- Distributed log indexing and searching, for example ELK, Splunk, Solar
- Streaming or messaging systems, for example Apache Kafka, RabbitMQ, Redis
- Linux Engineering or a DevOps background
- Development with Java and Python
- Systems engineering and integration
- Orchestration and Configuration Management, for example Ansible, Terraform
- Architecting, implementing and supporting applications running on Linux
- Continuous Integration and Deployment, ideally Jenkins
- Creating monitoring dashboards, for example Grafana, Prometheus, OpenTSDB
Experience with the following would also be beneficial (but not essential):
- AWS/Cloud , for example EC2, S3, Route 53, Cloud Formation
- Batch and streaming job frameworks, for example Spark, Storm, Nifi
- NoSQL databases, for example HBase, Cassandra, MongoDB
- Time series databases, for example InfluxDB, OpenTSDB, Prometheus
- Kerberos, SSL certificates
- Database administration and querying
- Cluster managers, for example Docker, Apache Mesos, Kubernetes
Why should you apply?
- Market-leading compensation plus annual discretionary bonus
- Informal dress code and excellent work/life balance
- Paid time off, including sick days, military leave, and family and medical leave
- Summer working hours, equivalent of 4 additional days of paid leave
- Generous 401(k) plan
- 12-weeks’ fully paid parental leave
- Medical and Prescription, Dental, and Vision insurance
- Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment (AD&D) insurance
- Employee Assistance and Wellness programs
G-Research is committed to cultivating and preserving an inclusive work environment. We are an ideas-driven business and we place great value on diversity of experience and opinions.
We want to ensure that applicants receive a recruitment experience that enables them to perform at their best. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation please let us know in the relevant section.Apply