Risk and Financial Technology Lead
Location : London
G-Research is Europe’s leading quantitative finance research firm. We hire the brightest minds in the world to tackle some of the biggest questions in finance. We pair this expertise with machine learning, big data, and some of the most advanced technology available to predict movements in financial markets.
The aim of the Risk and Financial Technology (RFT) function is to develop, maintain and operate a diverse set of big data, data analysis, business process and reporting systems, built within the last few years, on modern and primarily open source foundations. The function collaborates very closely with stakeholders across Market Risk Management, Research, Algorithmic Safety and Financial Market Operations.
RFT’s constituent teams help G-Research's overall performance in innovative ways, whether that’s helping Market Risk Managers share research and data with Quant teams, or leveraging market risk and other independently-calculated data to provide out-of-band algo safety controls.
We are seeking a Functional Lead for RFT, in a newly created role that reflects the growth and importance of the function to G-Research.
The Functional Lead for RFT will provide leadership and product management across the group and portfolio of activities. You will work with senior stakeholders to build a vision and roadmap for the function, which holds user experience and data visualisation at its heart.
This is a unique position and requires someone with a product mind set to lead an Engineering function, whilst also providing input to the wider Engineering division.
Reporting into the Deputy Head of Engineering, the key responsibilities of this role include:
- Defining and embedding the medium-to-long-term product and technology strategy within the function, collaborating with peers, the Deputy Head of Engineering and Principal Engineers
- Determining, and being accountable for, the roadmap, technical strategy, headcount and budget for the function, regularly updating and realigning in response to business obstacles as well as the internal and external environment
- Leading three Engineering teams and their managers
- Acting as a key partner and collaborator in technology and strategy decisions across the Engineering group
- Driving a performance-led culture across the function
- Developing engineering talent and leadership within and across the function; effectively managing and developing team managers
- Fostering an environment of change and innovation (both technical and procedural), using knowledge of internal and external environment to seek out improvement and innovation opportunities
- Leading the security and risk environment across the function, fully integrating security- and risk-related activities into ways of working whilst having a clear understanding of the security impact of decisions
- Acting as an evangelist for new ideas across the Engineering function
- Using commercial knowledge and networks to collaborate proactively on company-wide initiatives
- Building and maintaining excellent working relationships with the function's internal customers, to develop and deliver a roadmap to meet their needs
- Taking a value-driven approach to strategic planning; clearly articulating the measurable benefits and internal rate of return
- Working collaboratively with the Finance team to utilise financial modelling techniques to drive cost-effective approaches and value-based outcomes
- Identifying and understanding financial drivers in strategic planning; driving project and programme timeline and budgets effectively.
Who are we looking for?
You will be an intelligent, capable and distinguished leader with a proven ability to lead teams that deliver first-class business value. You will have the breadth of experience necessary to deliver world-beating managerial and technical leadership across a function of high-performance specialist teams.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Experience in product management and a proven ability to form a vision and execute it
- Experience in working with senior stakeholders in complex domains to gather requirements that translate to a technical vision
- Experience in building, managing and developing software engineering teams
- Experience in market risk and fund reporting across multiple asset classes
- Experience in data visualisation and user experience
- A track record of effective stakeholder management and the ability to influence in complex, cross-functional environments
- A commercial approach to business delivery and results
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to communicate across all levels of the organisation
- Experience in managing and developing a team of managers is preferable
- Experience overseeing technical strategy with big data and data science technologies at its core
- Experience as a software developer is useful but not essential
Why should you apply?
- Highly competitive compensation plus annual discretionary bonus
- Lunch provided (via Just Eat for Business) and dedicated barista bar
- 30 days’ annual leave
- 9% company pension contributions
- Informal dress code and excellent work/life balance
- Comprehensive healthcare and life assurance
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Monthly company events
G-Research is committed to cultivating and preserving an inclusive work environment. We are an ideas-driven business and we place great value on diversity of experience and opinions.
We want to ensure that applicants receive a recruitment experience that enables them to perform at their best. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation please let us know in the relevant section.Apply