Software Engineering Manager - Post Trade Analysis
Location : London
G-Research is Europe’s leading quantitative finance research firm. We hire the brightest minds in the world to tackle some of the biggest questions in finance. We pair this expertise with machine learning, big data, and some of the most advanced technology available to predict movements in financial markets.
We are seeking a lead for our Post Trade Analysis Development Team (PTA Dev), which forms part of the new and growing Risk and Financial Technology Group within Engineering at G-Research.
The PTA Dev team is comprised of enthusiastic, highly collaborative engineers who work closely with Quantitative Analysts and Researchers to develop and improve analytics pipelines and user interfaces. It delivers insight into performance-enhancing opportunities across Research, Market Risk, and the Portfolio Research Group.
The team leverages vast in-house distributed computational resources to transform and aggregate petabytes of data in a reliable and timely manner. Due to the breadth of data involved, the successful candidate will work closely with other teams, providing an excellent opportunity to gain understanding of the entire investment platform.
Most development work takes place in Python, but the team also has a significant code base written in Scala and running on Apache Spark. User interfaces are built using modern front-end technologies, with a CI/CD infrastructure based on Jenkins and Kubernetes.
Key responsibilities of the role include:
- Managing a high performing team of three software engineers, expanding to five
- Steering, and contributing to, the technical deliverables of the team, ensuring that the requirements of the business are met
- Recruiting, onboarding and training new team members, providing career development and compensation recommendations
- Identifying gaps between current and desired future state, and defining the practical steps required to meet the change,
- Increasing the level of collaboration with Engineering teams performing similar analysis for Market Risk Management and Portfolio Research
- Positively engaging people by articulating the vision to drive an open, productive, and progressive work environment
- Helping to define the strategic technology roadmap for Post Trade Analysis and senior management reporting, in collaboration with stakeholders across the business
- Collaborating with the Risk and Financial Technology leadership teams to identify and align areas of strategic overlap, prioritising the success of the broader group and Engineering Division, and preventing tunnel-vision within teams
- Contributing to the wider engineering landscape within G-Research, communicating ideas, plans, and practices
Who are we looking for?
You will have a hands-on approach and a proven ability to manage teams that develop and deliver high-quality software. As well as leadership experience, we are looking for a person who has experience with complex systems and reporting platforms, alongside the ability to suggest creative solutions to difficult problems.
Prior experience with distributed systems is desirable, but most important to us is the ability to see how the team’s capabilities fit into the wider picture at G-Research.
We want a manager who shares our passion and excitement for taking our platforms forward and who can use their vision to inspire and drive the team. You will need a level of pragmatism to balance the push for rapid delivery with the desire to avoid excessive technical debt.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Experience managing and motivating a team of high-performing software engineers
- A background in finance or statistics is beneficial, however all backgrounds are welcome
- Experience with data analysis, big data, and reporting systems, built on modern open source languages and technologies
- Experience with agile methodologies and continuous integration/continuous delivery pipelines
- Practical expertise in a JVM- or .NET-based language, Python, Kubernetes, and front-end technologies such as Typescript and Angular
- A demonstrable track record in delivering high quality systems
- A commercial approach to business delivery and results
- The ability to lead through change
Why should you apply?
- Highly competitive compensation plus annual discretionary bonus
- Lunch provided (via Just Eat for Business) and dedicated barista bar
- 30 days’ annual leave
- 9% company pension contributions
- Informal dress code and excellent work/life balance
- Comprehensive healthcare and life assurance
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Monthly company events
G-Research is committed to cultivating and preserving an inclusive work environment. We are an ideas-driven business and we place great value on diversity of experience and opinions.
We want to ensure that applicants receive a recruitment experience that enables them to perform at their best. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation please let us know in the relevant section.Apply