Real-Time Quant Algorithms Manager
Location : London
G-Research is Europe’s leading quantitative finance research firm. We hire the brightest minds in the world to tackle some of the biggest questions in finance. We pair this expertise with machine learning, big data, and some of the most advanced technology available to predict movements in financial markets.
The Real-Time Quant Algorithms (RQA) team forms part of the Real-Time Platform Development Group at G-Research. RQA's mission is to maximise the quality and quantity of research our quants are able to develop and deliver to production within our real-time platform.
The team consists of a mixture of embedded engineers who work directly within quant teams, and a Core sub-team, who work both individually and in groups, on projects and ad hoc requests across research and real-time platforms.
We are looking for a hands-on Engineering Manager to lead the Core sub-team.
You will be working with a large, established, globally deployed codebase that encompasses highly successful research and real-time systems, mainly using C# and F# but other languages are also utilised as and when required.
The team balances supporting new research with improving the development and research experience for our quants.
We need someone who consistently delivers pragmatic solutions to hard problems and is able to adapt to the challenges of this highly complex platform as it evolves.
Reporting into the RQA Manager, this is a part-technical role, with time split evenly between direct delivery of project work and line management and leadership.
The key responsibilities of the role include:
- Implementing experimental new components with constantly evolving requirements
- Re-architecting and refactoring our existing systems to make them easier to test, develop and deploy
- Developing software that works on massive data sets and is reliable, performant and correct in a real-time production context
- Our live platform runs 24 hours a day, in multiple asset classes globally; as such there is an element of operational support to the role, including occasional overnight, on-call cover
- Managing a high-performance development team of software engineers
- Steering and contributing to the technical deliverables of the team, ensuring that the requirements of the business are met
- Recruiting, onboarding and training new team members; providing career development support and conducting performance and absence management
- Defining a technical vision and roadmap for the sub-team in collaboration with stakeholders across the business, including the RQA Manager
- Providing upwards and outwards reporting to stakeholders on team performance and progress
- Positively engaging people by articulating the vision to drive an open and progressive work environment
- Collaborating with the Real-Time Platform Development leadership team to identify and align areas of strategic overlap, prioritising the success of the Real-Time Platform Development group and avoiding tunnel-vision within teams
- Contributing to the wider engineering landscape within G-Research, communicating ideas, plans and practices
Who are we looking for?
You should have a background as an exceptional software developer with a proven track record of delivering pragmatic and high-quality solutions. A keen interest in algorithmic trading is essential, but prior experience of working on real-time platforms is not a prerequisite.
You may have experience of leading teams; or your recent career may have been leading in this direction and you are ready to make the change.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Strong organisational skills and experience of helping to plan and run small projects in the face of changing requirements
- The ability to collaborate closely with expert stakeholders, understanding and managing their requirements and priorities, and reporting back to them at an appropriate level
- Experience of aligning and motivating engineers, and of helping them to drive their personal development. You have seen what it takes to form and sustain a high-performing team
- A passion for delivering value both through your own direct efforts and by maximising the potential of others
You do not need to tick all of these boxes. If you are smart, motivated and excited about this opportunity then we want to hear from you.
Why should you apply?
- Highly competitive compensation plus annual discretionary bonus
- Lunch provided (via Just Eat for Business) and dedicated barista bar
- 30 days annual leave
- 9% company pension contributions
- Informal dress code and excellent work/life balance
- Comprehensive healthcare and life assurance
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Subsidised gym membership
- Monthly company events
- Central London office close to 5 stations and 6 tube lines
G-Research is committed to cultivating and preserving an inclusive work environment. We are an ideas-driven business and we place great value on diversity of experience and opinions.
We want to ensure that applicants receive a recruitment experience that enables them to perform at their best. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation please let us know in the relevant section.Apply