New Opportunities Research Engineer
G-Research is a leading quantitative research and technology company. By using the latest scientific techniques, we produce world-beating predictive research and build advanced technology to analyse the world’s data.
Discover and engineer the next generation of businesses working in partnership with our Quantitative Analysts.
As a Research Engineer (New Ventures) in the Opportunity Evaluation Group you will engineer our new research environment and pair with our Researchers on their projects.
OEG is a small, exceptional group where excellent generalist engineers are expected to contribute across the spectrum of tasks, one day figuring out the intricacies of working with data in the cloud, the next collaborating with our quants on their latest project.
First and foremost, you will be writing code that enables the quants to achieve their goals. This will mean developing back-testing frameworks, distributed computing environments, engineering data sets, as well as trouble-shooting issues in our cloud environment. Most of our work is in Python and in the cloud, so we are looking for candidates who can operate independently in these fields. The team operates as an independent startup within the organisation, so this role will suit someone with a start-up mindset.
The key responsibilities of this role include:
- Developing our research tooling (e.g. back-testing frameworks, machine learning platforms) and environment
- Pair with researchers to develop systems for execution and quantitative research
- Develop and maintain the OEG data lake
- Collaborate effectively within the OEG group and with other teams
- Work with the innovation team to take advantage of bleeding edge tooling from vendors and in open-source
Who are we looking for?
You will have:
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in quantitative, STEM or other technical discipline
- 5+ years’ experience as a hands-on engineer
- 3+ years’ hands-on Python programming including (NumPy, Pandas, SciPy)
- 3+ years’ experience working securely in AWS (inc. Terraform, VPC, S3, encryption, routing)
- Data management skills: transforming between formats, data lakes
- Excellent general computing knowledge
- Linux as your preferred o/s
- Experience in start-up environments
It will also be beneficial to have:
- Experience working with Google Cloud and Microsoft Azure
- Experience programming with C# .Net, Java, Scala, SparkExperience working in an innovative, quantitative environment
- Financial markets knowledge
Why should you apply?
- Highly competitive compensation plus annual discretionary bonus
- Informal dress code and work/life balance
- Comprehensive healthcare and life assurance
- 25 days holiday
- 9% company pension contributions
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Subsidised gym membership
- Monthly company events
- Central London office close to 5 stations and 6 tube lines