Linux Engineer – Low Latency Engineering
Location : London
G-Research is Europe’s leading quantitative finance research firm. We hire the brightest minds in the world to tackle some of the biggest questions in finance. We pair this expertise with machine learning, big data, and some of the most advanced technology available to predict movements in financial markets.
We are looking for an experienced Linux Engineer with a background in automating and tuning Linux systems. You can expect to apply these skills to our global low-latency environment.
The role sits within our Low Latency Linux team. It’s part of a wider Low Latency Engineering group, which is responsible for a low-latency system that is a critical part of a global investment platform.
Low Latency Engineering produces software that runs in a high-performance Linux environment in global co-location data centres within stock exchanges.
The scale of our deployment, and the tight performance and reliability requirements of our platform, means we require a highly standardised and automated Linux environment. You will be involved in maintaining and further enhancing our Infrastructure as Code (IaC) build pipelines, which takes our servers from bare metal through to complete system.
Key responsibilities of the role include:
- Building and maintaining a pipeline to automatically configure high-performance Linux machines deployed globally
- Extending that pipeline to configure and deploy the in-house platform
- Building, automating and maintaining a low-latency testing lab
- Enabling the Low Latency Group to experiment with system latency improvements
- Working closely with the rest of the Low Latency Engineering group
We give people time to learn and develop - including one day a fortnight to work on your own ideas and the opportunity to attend training and conferences.
Who are we looking for?
The ideal candidate will have:
- A proven track record of automation and continuous delivery on Linux
- In-depth understanding of Linux
- Good knowledge of networking fundamentals
- Experience with configuration management systems
- The ability to express Linux system configuration in well written, testable, modular and extensible code
- The ability to leverage off-the-shelf and open-source systems quickly
- Good knowledge of Ansible
- Knowledge of tuning Linux systems for low-latency (kernel tunables)
- Experience with SolarFlare (onload) or Mellanox (vma) kernel by-pass solutions
- Experience supporting FPGA cards
- Experience working in a security conscious environment
- In-depth Python experience
Financial experience is useful but not required. If you have a non-financial background, we’d very much like to hear from you.
Why should you apply?
- Highly competitive compensation plus annual discretionary bonus
- Lunch provided (via Just Eat for Business) and dedicated barista bar
- 30 days’ annual leave
- 9% company pension contributions
- Informal dress code and excellent work/life balance
- Comprehensive healthcare and life assurance
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Monthly company events
G-Research is committed to cultivating and preserving an inclusive work environment. We are an ideas-driven business and we place great value on diversity of experience and opinions.
We want to ensure that applicants receive a recruitment experience that enables them to perform at their best. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation please let us know in the relevant section.Apply