Research Software Engineer
G-Research is a leading quantitative research and technology company. By using the latest scientific techniques, we produce world-beating predictive research and build advanced technology to analyse the world’s data.
Software Engineering is core to our business. By designing and implementing real-time systems, our engineers are solving some of the world’s most complex financial problems.
We are looking for outstanding engineers to help our quantitative researchers quickly implement their novel machine learning ideas and test them at scale against a range of in-house datasets.
Our work might involve efficiently implementing an idea from a new research paper, building new tooling to help optimise a large scale workflow or working out how the latest open source machine learning technologies can be applied to our problem space. We work very closely with our quantitative researchers and adapt the direction of our work as exciting new ideas emerge.
Who are we looking for?
We are looking to fill roles across a range of experience levels. Senior candidates will be expected to have demonstrable experience in multiple if not all of the following areas and to be ready to provide significant input into the shape of the solutions we deliver. Less experienced candidates will have knowledge in some of these areas and the interest and the desire to learn the others.
- Knowledge of numerical programming, in Python using libraries such as Pandas, NumPy and tools such as Jupyter
- Implemented deep learning solutions either commercially or as a personal project
- Experience working with deep learning frameworks such as TensorFlow, Keras or PyTorch
- Experience working closely with data scientists or quantitative researchers in a research directed environment
- Experience with distributed compute platforms including areas such as package management, security implementation and containerisation
- Demonstrable ability to engineer high-quality maintainable software and experience with automated testing and continuous delivery
- The confidence to experiment with new ideas and technologies
- Ability to engineer and own solutions that will be relied upon by many users and deployed to machines in large compute clusters
For any candidate, this is a challenging role requiring you to combine technical knowledge and engineering skills with the ability to understand the hard data science challenges facing our researchers.
Why should you apply?
- Highly competitive compensation plus annual discretionary bonus
- Informal dress code and excellent work/life balance
- Comprehensive healthcare and life assurance
- 25 days holiday
- 9% company pension contributions
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Subsidised gym membership
- Monthly company events
- Central London office close to 5 stations and 6 tube lines