Open Source Evangelist
Location : London
G-Research is Europe’s leading quantitative finance research firm. We hire the brightest minds in the world to tackle some of the biggest questions in finance. We pair this expertise with machine learning, big data, and some of the most advanced technology available to predict movements in financial markets.
Recognising the vital role that open-source software plays within G-Research's own technology use, the G-Research Open Source Software (GR-OSS) team exists to support all our Engineering groups and help strengthen the global open-source community. The team is a mix of local and remote workers, internal employees and external contractors.
Embracing open source technology is a broad industry trend and for G-Research it has many long-term practical, financial and operational benefits. Similarly, G-Research recognises its opportunity to encourage continued broad technology development by sharing our world-class talent, energy, and resources.
This role acts as the connective tissue between the internal engineering world of G-Research and the external universe of open source software. This role will work alongside our existing Open Source Evangelist to drive implementation of our priority features within open source projects, directly giving back to the open source ecosystem. At the same time, this role aims to accelerate adoption of open source tooling within the company in a way that improves our engineers’ user experience and productivity.
Key responsibilities of the role include:
- Working with internal groups to identify and address issues and opportunities relating to open-source software; actively engaging and collaborating with the global open-source ecosystem
- Growing awareness of GR-OSS within G-Research (e.g through our internal podcast, weekly 'surgery' sessions, etc.)
- Directly engaging Research and Engineering teams to better understand their needs
- Helping teams make their own contributions to existing third-party OSS projects
- Helping teams open source their own projects
- Helping maintain our existing OSS projects
- Creating new OSS projects where appropriate
- Making your own contributions to existing third party OSS projects
- Helping Research to assess emerging open source technology
Who are we looking for?
The ideal candidate will have the following skills and experience:
- Prior knowledge of or experience in machine learning, big data, distributed compute/batch processing, GPU acceleration and/or related areas
- Experience working in a related role at a technology company
- At ease engaging with technical audiences, experienced engineers, and executives
- Familiar and comfortable writing code and using developer tools such as GitHub, GitLab, Bitbucket, etc.
- Experience in one or more of these languages: Java, Go, Python, C#, F#
- Able to partner collaboratively and flexibly, developing strong rapport and credibility both internally across functional areas and with external partners to help drive shared outcomes
- Keen for personal growth and adaptable to shifting project needs and strategies
- High proficiency in both written and verbal English
- Excellent customer skills and a willingness to resolve issues in a timely manner
- Ability to communicate and work positively with global, diverse, distributed teams
- Team player who can also work independently with minimal supervision
Why should you apply?
- Highly competitive compensation plus annual discretionary bonus
- Informal dress code and excellent work/life balance
- Comprehensive healthcare and life assurance
- 30 days holiday
- 9% company pension contributions
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Subsidised gym membership
- Monthly company events
- Central London office close to 5 stations and 6 tube lines
G-Research is committed to cultivating and preserving an inclusive work environment. We are an ideas-driven business and we place great value on diversity of experience and opinions.
We want to ensure that applicants receive a recruitment experience that enables them to perform at their best. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation please let us know in the relevant section.Apply