Location : London
G-Research is Europe’s leading quantitative finance research firm. We hire the brightest minds in the world to tackle some of the biggest questions in finance. We pair this expertise with machine learning, big data, and some of the most advanced technology available to predict movements in financial markets.
Data, and the APIs that exist to enable its exchange, are at the heart of G-Research. They are critical to all of our core platforms and wider business. Strong, well-designed and versioned APIs allow our systems to integrate quickly and smoothly, ultimately making it easier for our Research teams to gain access to the right data at the right time.
Working within the CTO Architecture Practice and alongside development teams within our Engineering function, you will develop and lead API strategy across the organisation. You will be tasked with establishing standards and development approaches, as well as driving the selection and adoption of the right enabling technologies.
Key responsibilities of the role include:
- Leading the organisational API strategy, aligned to our wider business objectives and long-term business vision
- Acting as a bridge between your long-term strategy and Engineering, identifying the patterns, standards and common components required for Engineering to be successful
- Establishing the governance approaches and development methodologies required to mature our approach to API discipline
- Providing support, guidance and consultancy to engineering teams on API design best-practice, ensuring design trade-offs are well-considered
- Supporting the CTO and Architecture Practice Lead in developing architectural thinking across G-Research.
- Operating as part of the wider federated Architecture team to answer significant emerging strategic questions and describe their impact on our current approaches
Who are we looking for?
You will have a demonstrable background in large-scale system and/or enterprise architecture, with experience in system design within a comparable organisation focused on data science, analytics and data processing at scale.
The ideal candidate will have the following skills and experience:
- Background in a wide range of integration and API architectural styles (REST, SOA, microservices, message bus, API gateways/proxies) with understanding of the pros and cons of applying them in different situations
- Track record of successfully leading and executing broad API standardisation/integration projects, balancing delivery imperative with long-term outcomes
- Practical experience of designing integration approaches suitable for a rapidly moving, heterogeneous, polyglot technology ecosystem (ideally coupled with recent and hands-on development skills in at least one of Python, C#, Go or another mainstream language)
- Technical experience in schema, data, API versioning and data interchange standards
- Sound technical background in system design, engineering or development, with the ability to bridge the span of detailed technical through to high-level conceptual discussion
- A good understanding of industry standards and best practice techniques to build and maintain data models, along with knowing the advantages and disadvantages of enterprise data models
- Strong communication skills, with the ability to reduce complex problems such that they can be readily understood by a range of consumers
- Comfortable in making decisions stick through influence and collaboration
- Strong analytical thinking, with the ability to acquire a good understanding of a problem or situation quickly by breaking it down systematically into its components, identifying the relationships between these parts, and selecting the appropriate methods/tools to resolve the problem such that learning is identified and absorbed
- Able to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team but also being known as a self-starter with a proactive approach
One thing all successful candidates have in common is a passion to use technology, new concepts and new ideas to solve complicated problems.
Why should you apply?
- Highly competitive compensation plus annual discretionary bonus
- Lunch provided (via Just Eat for Business) and dedicated barista bar
- 30 days’ annual leave
- 9% company pension contributions
- Informal dress code and excellent work/life balance
- Comprehensive healthcare and life assurance
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Monthly company events
G-Research is committed to cultivating and preserving an inclusive work environment. We are an ideas-driven business and we place great value on diversity of experience and opinions.
We want to ensure that applicants receive a recruitment experience that enables them to perform at their best. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation please let us know in the relevant section.Apply