Security Platform Engineer
Location : London
G-Research is Europe’s leading quantitative finance research firm. We hire the brightest minds in the world to tackle some of the biggest questions in finance. We pair this expertise with machine learning, big data, and some of the most advanced technology available to predict movements in financial markets.
The Security Platform Engineering team forms part of the Security Detection and Response capability at G-Research and supports the Security Operations Centre in detecting and responding to malicious activity that could negatively impact the business.
The team is responsible for developing the end-to-end capability required to perform a range of detection and response capabilities across the physical, personnel and cyber domains. It also provides data services to other parts of the organisation to support compliance and operational management.
We are seeking a Security Platform Engineer to join the team and contribute to the development of our Security Platform, which is built largely on open-source software (OSS) deployments, including one project developed wholly by the Security Platform Engineering team.
Key responsibilities of the role include:
- Working alongside different teams to ensure we maintain a full view of our security estate for both operational and compliance purposes
- Ensuring the stability and operation of the security platform
- Adding new data sources to the security platform
- Supporting R&D environments for security alerting and UEBA modelling
- Deploying anomaly detection and correlation alerting into production
- Building and maintaining scripted run-books and dashboards to support our stakeholders
- Supporting the deployment and availability of key applications used by the SOC
Key to this role is your ability to engage with partners and build on existing open-source technologies. As such, our data engineers have access to a range of training in the full set of big data technologies, as well as access to the leading global conferences relating to data, data science and security.
Who are we looking for?
The ideal candidate will have the following skills and experience:
- Proven, practical experience working with distributed data processing systems, performing complex ETL tasks and managing such systems where they operate at speed and scale
- Highly computer literate with the ability to learn new skills quickly
- Competent in scripting and coding, ideally in Python or Java, and with an understanding of software engineering, operating systems, networks, SQL and NoSQL technologies and data structures
- The ability to work autonomously, understand requirements and build and support data pipelines, ensuring the finished product is fit-for-purpose
- Willingness to explore new technologies and the ability to demonstrate your commitment to continuous personal development
- Experience and understanding of big data concepts and technologies, such as HDFS, Hive, Spark, Storm, Kafka and the ELK stack
- Experience of containerisation and orchestration technologies, for example Docker and Kubernetes, as well as automated deployment pipelines using Git and Jenkins
- Awareness and understanding of infrastructure-as-code and DevOps working patterns principles
- Highly competent in systems automation and able to support vendor-provided services, deployments of open-source software and internally developed applications
The following would also be beneficial:
- Knowledge of hybrid cloud environments, such as AWS or OpenStack
Why should you apply?
- Highly competitive compensation plus annual discretionary bonus
- Lunch provided (via Just Eat for Business) and dedicated barista bar
- 30 days’ annual leave
- 9% company pension contributions
- Informal dress code and excellent work/life balance
- Comprehensive healthcare and life assurance
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Monthly company events
G-Research is committed to cultivating and preserving an inclusive work environment. We are an ideas-driven business and we place great value on diversity of experience and opinions.
We want to ensure that applicants receive a recruitment experience that enables them to perform at their best. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation please let us know in the relevant section.Apply