Realtime Quant Platform Software Engineer
G-Research is a leading quantitative research and technology company. By using the latest scientific techniques, we produce world-beating predictive research and build advanced technology to analyse the world’s data.
Imagine introducing the next generation of technology to a platform in real-time.
Software Engineering is core to our business. By designing and implementing real-time systems, our engineers are solving some of the world's most complex financial problems.
We're looking for an exceptional Software Engineer to join the team working on our core realtime quant platform. Our mission is to maximize the quality and quantity of research our quants are able to develop and deliver to production. In pursuit of this we have recently reorganised our team in order to enable ownership of the key components along the whole pipeline from the research process through to deployment in live production.
This is a very exciting time for realtime quant research, as we have only recently built the capability to deploy into our wider system, and are now working to scale up our operations in this area.
- Implementation of experimental new components with requirements that aren't really understood until the project is complete.
- Refactoring our existing system to make it easier to test, develop and deploy.
- Helping a very talented group of mathematical researchers with the tricky business of building software that needs to work on massive data sets and be reliable, performant and correct in a (soft) realtime production context.
Some insight into our team culture:
- Most of the core realtime platform is written in C#. Most of our quant users code primarily in F#. Our Software Engineers work in a mixture of the two languages, the mix varying from one project to another.
- We follow Agile practices in a non-ideological way. Experimentation and iterative improvement are highly valued in all areas from working practices and user-facing APIs to production robustness. Our environment is fast-paced and constantly changing so we fail fast to learn quickly.
- Collaboration is key, with team-mates, users and other teams across the company. We often act as an interface between researchers and the rest of the company, so there's a lot of scope for us to improve the efficiency of the research process.
- As we work directly with quant researchers we are often the first people outside their team to interact with existing or new code that is far from production quality. The ability to be pragmatic about applying Software Engineering principles is vital here, particularly for the functionally-inclined.
- We believe in complementary specialisms to reach the highest standards. Software Engineering and financial research are performed by specialists in each of these areas, working collaboratively where required.
- Our live platform runs 24 hours a day, in multiple asset classes globally; as such there is an element of operational support to the role, including occasional overnight on-call cover.
Who are we looking for?
The ideal candidate will at minimum have experience in the following areas:
- Strong problem solving skills, with the ability to think quickly and take initiative while working in a collaborative team.
- Excellent academics such as a 2.1 or better in Computer Science from a top university, or as an alternative substantial and highly impressive professional experience.
- The ability to communicate with non-technical users, both in order to understand exactly what their needs are and how we can help, and to teach or explain to them how to take full advantage of the research platform. The users think in a very mathematical way so aptitude in this area is valuable.
- Experience of, or a willingness to learn, a variety of different programming styles including OO and Functional.
- Finance experience is useful but by no means a pre-requisite. Candidates from non-financial backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
- An interest in applying Continuous Delivery principles in a challenging environment.
Why should you apply?
- Highly competitive compensation plus annual discretionary bonus
- Informal dress code and work/life balance
- Comprehensive healthcare and life assurance
- 25 days holiday
- Contributory pension scheme
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Subsidised gym membership
- Monthly company events
- Central London office close to 5 stations and 6 tube lines