G-Research is a leading quantitative research and technology company. By using the latest scientific techniques, we produce world-beating predictive research and build advanced technology to analyse the world’s data. We offer a dynamic, flexible and stimulating environment where good ideas are prized and rewarded. Our culture is positive with a fantastic central London location.
The CTO Office
The CTO Office co-ordinates the G-Research technology strategy and vision. The company has grown rapidly over the past few years and has a large and varied technology estate which is undergoing rapid change. The CTO is responsible for future technology direction for the business and ensuring that requirements are articulated clearly for the Engineering organisation.
Working within the CTO Architecture Practice and alongside development teams within our Engineering function you will work to establish and describe application and product strategy across the organisation.
As an Application Architect, you will:
- Support the CTO and Architecture Practice Lead in developing Architectural thinking and approach across G-Research.
- Operate as part of the wider federated architecture team to answer emerging significant strategic questions and describe their impact on our current approaches.
- Collaborate with engineering teams across the organisation to collectively deliver the product roadmap and strategy by demonstrating leadership and influence.
- Work as an integrated part of our engineering Functional Areas on the creation of architectural roadmaps, direction and strategy.
- Own elements of the conceptual and logical architectures for G-Research.
- Define Guard Rails for principles, policies and practices which support strategic goals.
- Provide technical leadership on key architecture decisions across the development organisation.
- Act as a key evangelist of standards and patterns to drive improvements in interoperability and assurance.
- Pro-actively manage governance and quality that our architecture addresses a pragmatic balance of business and security objectives.
- Maintain a hands on approach and demonstrate the viability/applicability of your concepts by building proof of concept implementations.
Who are we looking for?
Data is at the heart of everything we do. You will have a demonstrable background in large scale system and/or enterprise architecture with experience in system design within a comparable organisation focussed on data science, analytics and data processing at scale.
Ideally you will also demonstrate the following:
- A breadth of experience in a wide range of application architecture approaches, their pitfalls and benefits.
- Sound technical background in system design, engineering or development with the ability to bridge the span of detailed technical through to high level conceptual discussion.
- Experience in developing architectures within modern application and cloud approaches such as DevOps, Immutable Infrastructure, Infrastructure-as-Code and Containerisation.
- A good understanding of industry standards and best practice techniques to build and maintain data models, along with knowing the advantages and disadvantages of enterprise data models
- Strong communication skills with the ability to reduce complex problems such that they can be readily understood by a range of consumers.
- Comfortable in making decisions stick through influence and collaboration.
- Ability to bring structure to situations of high uncertainty and balance delivery imperative with driving for long-term outcomes.
- Strong analytical thinking with the ability to quickly acquire a good understanding of a problem or situation by breaking it down systematically into its components, identify the relationships between these parts and select the appropriate methods/tools to resolve the problem such that learning is identified and absorbed.
- An appreciation of the pros/cons of in-house, bespoke implementations versus the use of 3rd party and commercial products.
- Understanding and experience of the underlying issues in complex problems or situations and be able to correctly relate these to simpler or better concepts/models.
- Able to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team but also being known as a self-starter with a proactive approach.
- The soft skills and experience of working with people to ensure that you are sensitive to the views of others, and be able to discover how to work with a rich variety of different stakeholders.
One thing all successful candidates have in common is a passion to use technology, new concepts and new ideas to solve complicated problems.
Why should you apply?
- Highly competitive compensation plus annual discretionary bonus
- Informal dress code and excellent work/life balance
- Comprehensive healthcare and life assurance
- 25 days holiday
- 9% company pension contributions
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Subsidised gym membership
- Monthly company events
- Central London office close to 5 stations and 6 tube lines