Low Latency Feeds C++ Engineer
G-Research is a leading quantitative research and technology company. By using the latest scientific techniques, we produce world-beating predictive research and build advanced technology to analyse the world’s data.
Software Engineering is core to our business. By designing and implementing real-time systems, our engineers are solving some of the world’s most complex financial problems.
The Low Latency Feeds team is part of the Low Latency Engineering Group at G-Research. We are a team of enthusiastic C++ developers responsible for collecting and decoding live stock market data. About half the team had previous experience in finance before joining, the rest have been drawn from companies across the games, telecoms, defence and technology sectors.
Our software runs in a high-performance Linux environment and is a critical part of a global investment platform. We also write highly-available supporting services that currently run on Windows. Most of our software is written in C++ but we also use other languages including C#. We process data streams that update many times a microsecond and collect terabytes of data per day.
We are looking for a software engineer to join our high-performing team building an exceptional market data platform. You will help us develop performance-critical systems and work with stock exchange data from around the world. We are constantly improving our systems by making use of advances in technologies, languages and open-source software.
We give people time to learn and develop – including one day a fortnight to work on your own ideas and the opportunity to attend training and conferences.
Key responsibilities include:
- Designing and implementing enterprise-quality software, primarily in C++ but also in other languages including C#.
- Working across the full project lifecycle: including design, development, test, release and operational support.
- Contributing to the system architecture and improving performance.
Who are we looking for?
You will be an enthusiastic, intelligent software engineer who is able to solve real-world problems in C++. You should be able to work well as part of a software development team as well as individually.
Required skills and experience:
- Experience building high-quality solutions to interesting problems in C++ (in industry or post-graduate academia), or experience of building microsecond-scale, low-latency applications in any language (with a desire to learn C++).
- Good understanding of fundamental algorithms & data structures.
- A determined and hardworking outlook, with the ability to communicate well with technical and non-technical people.
- A 2.1 degree or better in computer science, electronics or similar.
- Financial experience is useful but not required. If you have a non-financial background, we’d like to hear from you.
Why should you apply?
You will have the opportunity to work on challenging problems in a low-latency environment and to see your code running in production. There is also:
- Highly competitive compensation plus annual discretionary bonus
- 9% company pension contributions
- Informal dress code and work/life balance
- Comprehensive healthcare and life assurance
- 25 days holiday
- Monthly company events
- Central London office close to 5 stations and 6 tube lines