G-Research is Europe’s leading quantitative finance research firm. We hire the brightest minds in the world to tackle some of the biggest questions in finance. We pair this expertise with machine learning, big data, and some of the most advanced technology available to predict movements in financial markets.
As an OpenStack Engineer, you'll work on delivering the on-premise cloud platform powered by OpenStack. You will help to design, build and support this new private cloud platform and help drive its adoption and expansion while also collaborating with Linux Engineers, Developers, Security and other infrastructure teams.
There is a large focus on applying automation, Infrastructure as Code and using CI tools and methodologies in all of our engineering work. We are using open source tooling and best practices to increase the pace of delivery and are working hard to embed a Continuous Improvement culture and philosophy across the organisation.
Key responsibilities of the role include:
- Design, deploy and maintain a highly scalable and secure OpenStack platform
- Ensure workloads running on the private cloud platform are deployed optimally
- Recommend and implement continuous improvements to the OpenStack platform
- Ensure the OpenStack platform is configured and run from code
- Contribute to OpenStack open source projects
- Performance diagnostics and tuning of the entire stack
- Evaluate new OpenStack projects and propose additions and enhancements
- Capacity planning to ensure seamless scale-out without impacting services
- Security-hardening the OpenStack platform and supporting systems
- Providing OpenStack platform support
You will be part of an exciting and challenging work environment, working with some of the best engineers in the industry, and will benefit from investment in technology, training, conference attendance, career development and cross-team growth opportunities.
Who are we looking for?
The ideal candidate will have:
- A background in running and maintaining large production OpenStack platforms
- Experience of upgrades of large production OpenStack platforms
- Strong Ansible skills in deploying and maintaining OpenStack platforms
- Experience in development and maintenance of OpenStack Ironic integrations to server hardware and network switches
- Background in configuring OpenStack to run across multiple server hardware configurations for HTC and HPC workloads
- Ability to deploying and run large Ceph installations
- Experience using Terraform for provisioning infrastructure on OpenStack
- Strong Linux skills and able to diagnose low-level Linux issues running HTC workloads
- Log aggregation and searching using ELK
- Coding/scripting ability, including Python and Bash
- Knowledge of container technologies such as Docker and Kubernetes
- Network administration and diagnostic experience
- Experience in setup and maintenance of Swift, distributed object storage
- Knowledge of CI/CD and VCS tools - Jenkins, Concourse, Drone, Github
Advantageous experience and skills include:
- Contributing to upstream OpenStack projects and code commits
- Using Hashicorp Vault for secrets managemen
- Metric collection and graphing technologies
- Prometheus, OpenTSDB, Grafana, tcollector, telegraf
- Building and running load balancing technologies such as HAProxy, F5s
- Scalable distributed systems such as Kafka, Hadoop, Hbase, Cassandra
- Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud Platform
Why should you apply?
- Highly competitive compensation plus annual discretionary bonus
- Informal dress code and excellent work/life balance
- Comprehensive healthcare and life assurance
- 25 days holiday
- 9% company pension contributions
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Subsidised gym membership
- Monthly company events
- Central London office close to 5 stations and 6 tube lines