Linux Engineer (Low Latency Engineering)
G-Research is Europe’s leading quantitative finance research firm. We hire the brightest minds in the world to tackle some of the biggest questions in finance. We pair this expertise with machine learning, big data, and some of the most advanced technology available to predict movements in financial markets.
The Low Latency Engineering Group is responsible for a low-latency system that is a critical part of a global platform. The group includes teams responsible for market data and Linux engineering, order entry and order execution functions.
The group produces software that runs in a high-performance Linux environment written in a mixture of C++ and C#. The software runs in data-centres that are co-located with stock exchanges around the world. The scale of our deployment, and the tight performance and reliability requirements of our platform, means we require a highly standardised and automated Linux environment.
As a Linux Engineer, you will:
- Build a pipeline to automatically configure high-performance Linux machines around the world
- Extend that pipeline to configure and deploy the in-house trading platform
- Build and automate a low-latency testing lab
- Enable the Low Latency Group to experiment with system latency improvements
There is a wide scope for learning and development in this role, with 10% of your time at work dedicated to allowing you to explore your own ideas, and opportunities to attend training and conferences.
Who are we looking for?
The ideal candidate will have:
- A proven track record of automation (e.g. Ansible, Chef, Puppet) and Continuous Delivery on Linux
- An in-depth understanding of Linux
- Good knowledge of networking fundamentals
- The ability to express Linux system configuration in well-written, testable, modular and extensible code
- The ability to quickly leverage off the shelf and open source systems
- Knowledge of tuning Linux systems for low-latency is desirable
Why should you apply?
- Highly competitive compensation plus annual discretionary bonus
- Informal dress code and excellent work/life balance
- Comprehensive healthcare and life assurance
- 25 days holiday
- 9% contributory pension scheme
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Subsidised gym membership
- Monthly company events
- Central London office close to 5 stations and 6 tube lines