Quant Tooling Software Engineer
G-Research is Europe’s leading quantitative finance research firm. We hire the brightest minds in the world to tackle some of the biggest questions in finance. We pair this expertise with machine learning, big data, and some of the most advanced technology available to predict movements in financial markets.
This position has a large impact on the potential profitability of the business; as such we are looking for a strong Software Engineer to join our team and work on our sophisticated trading and research platform. The mission of the team is to provide engineering and technical expertise to enable the business to rapidly capitalise on new opportunities and research ideas.
The key responsibilities of this role are:
- Contribute to the design and implementation of a greenfield system as a platform for our Quantitative Researchers, so that they can explore more complex and computationally intensive ideas
- Improve performance and engineer new features for the core platform that allows it to make better trading decisions
- Design and implement high quality code that performs at scale yet is fault-tolerant during live execution
- Identify and implement improvements to the existing systems and processes
- Take ownership of solutions – quality of code is of paramount importance to G-Research and, as such, we prioritise quality solutions over quick hacks whenever practical
The role is technically challenging, and requires an ability to rapidly adapt to new technologies such that the firm’s technological advantage is maintained. Software is engineered primarily in C# but we employ a ‘best tool for the job’ philosophy.
The firm’s platform is used 24/7 and this means that the candidate may be required to provide support for production issues, which can include occasional overnight calls shared in a rota with other team members.
Who are we looking for?
You must be a strong, competent, and practical software engineer. They should be enthusiastic and have a genuine interest in both software engineering and the underlying hardware.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Excellent academics - good A-level results or equivalent, combined with a 2.1 or better in Computer Science or a numerate subject from a top university
- An appreciation of good software architecture core CompSci fundamentals & data structures
- A proven ability to engineer high-quality software in an OO language
- Solid experience of at least one of C#, Java, or C++
- Some experience of Python, NumPy and Pandas is highly useful
- Experience of systems composed of event-driven microservices, and in particular, experience of working with Apache Kafka and Kafka Streams would be highly applicable
- Experience of TDD and the ability to write clean code, and a keen interest in applying continuous delivery principles
- Strong communication skills, with the ability to communicate with both technical and non-technical users
- Experience of working with a large existing code base is a definite advantage
- Familiarity with mathematics and basic statistics is highly useful
Why should you apply?
- Highly competitive compensation plus annual discretionary bonus
- Informal dress code and work/life balance
- Comprehensive healthcare and life assurance
- 25 days holiday
- 9% company pension contributions
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Subsidised gym membership
- Monthly company events
- Central London office close to 5 stations and 6 tube lines