Associate General Counsel
G-Research is Europe’s leading quantitative finance research firm. We hire the brightest minds in the world to tackle some of the biggest questions in finance. We pair this expertise with machine learning, big data, and some of the most advanced technology available to predict movements in financial markets.
The growing Legal team at G-Research is responsible for providing comprehensive commercial legal advice to the General Counsel and wider business, ensuring the delivery of efficient, effective and commercially-minded legal solutions. This role holds a great deal of responsibility as the successful candidate will be the Legal Business Partner for the Research function of G-Research. This will involve providing direct support on unique, detailed, and highly-specialised matters with regards to the law and regulation of global securities markets.
Additionally, a crucial part of this role will be the exploration of new ideas and opportunities with the Research function, providing legal, regulatory and general commercial input.
More broadly, the team deals with a wide variety of interesting legal issues including; technology, employment, financial regulatory and corporate matters. We solve challenging legal problems every day, and this role provides an exciting opportunity to marry complex legal theory with commercial reality.
Who are we looking for?
The ideal candidate will have a strong legal grounding coupled with hands-on experience and a solid understanding of securities markets, particularly with regards to securities trading. This role requires someone with the right mindset to apply legal principles to unique situations.
In particular, you will have:
- 10+ years PQE as a solicitor in England & Wales (or equivalent) including significant relevant in-house commercial/corporate/financial legal experience, combining a broad generalist practice with an excellent working understanding of securities laws and regulations (including how they are interpreted and applied in reality)
- A sufficient understanding of the technical fundamentals of how global markets operate (e.g. an understanding of what an order book is, what order placement looks like, and the difference between limit and market orders), so that you are easily able to apply the theory to the reality
- Experience dealing directly with regulators and/or exchanges
- Experience advising at the top levels of a business and effectively communicating with its most senior leaders
- Experience managing other legal professionals
- The ability to communicate clearly and to adapt advice style to suit a variety of clients
- Excellent academics, including a minimum 2.1 degree or equivalent
Why should you apply?
- Highly competitive compensation plus annual discretionary bonus
- Informal dress code and excellent work/life balance
- Comprehensive healthcare and life assurance
- 25 days holiday
- 9% contributory pension scheme
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Subsidised gym membership
- Monthly company events
- Central London office close to 5 stations and 6 tube line