Big Data DevOps Engineer (Placement Year)
G-Research is Europe’s leading quantitative finance research firm. We hire the brightest minds in the world to tackle some of the biggest questions in finance. We pair this expertise with machine learning, big data, and some of the most advanced technology available to predict movements in financial markets.
The Log Management and Event Distribution Platform Engineering (LAMPE) team at G-Research is seeking a Big Data DevOps industry placement intern. This team focuses on providing subject matter expertise, principal architectural advice, and innovative research-led solutions for enterprise-scale log management and event distribution systems. Our primary technical focuses are ELK, Splunk and Kafka, while our secondary technical focuses include the wider Hadoop stack, general database and data management systems, and infrastructure as code capabilities.
At the start of the internship, the successful candidate will be paired with a mentor and taken through a skills boot camp to ensure they have a solid base knowledge.
This role will provide valuable experience in:
- Research-based projects and proof of concept design and testing
- Systems Integration-focused programming with Python
- API design
- Behavioural-based programming design and testing
- Build, Deploy, and Config Management with Ansible and Terraform
- Cluster design and administration for Splunk, ElasticSearch, and Kafka
- Understanding of big data cluster monitoring and observational reporting
- Computer Networking and Security
Who are we looking for?
The ideal candidate will be a student with a demonstrable interest in IT and an aptitude for applying computing concepts and technical skills to solve real problems.
The ideal candidate will be:
- Studying a technology degree (Computer Science, Computer Systems, or Networks-related) and on track towards obtaining a 2:1 or above
- Highly organised and well-motivated self-starter
- Willing to learn with a positive attitude
- Detail-oriented with a passion for research and development, with excellent communication skills
- Experienced in programming, testing, and debugging applications written in both Python and Java
- Able to demonstrate an understanding of object-oriented programming and computer networking and security
Why should you apply?
- Excellent opportunity to work and gain experience with industry leading technology
- Competitive compensation
- Informal dress code and excellent work/life balance
- Comprehensive healthcare and life assurance
- 25 days holiday pro-rata
- Contributory pension scheme
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Subsidised gym membership
- Monthly company events
- Central London office close to 5 stations and 6 tube lines
Please note: We are only able to progress with candidates enrolled on a sandwich degree with a graduation date in 2023.