New Opportunities Research Engineer
G-Research is Europe’s leading quantitative finance research firm. We hire the brightest minds in the world to tackle some of the biggest questions in finance. We pair this expertise with machine learning, big data, and some of the most advanced technology available to predict movements in financial markets.
The Opportunity Evaluation Group (OEG) are looking for a New Opportunities Research Engineer to develop solutions that will enable our Quantitative Researchers to validate innovative business ideas. The successful candidate will work in a cross-functional team looking to deliver strategic change to the business by discovering new opportunities that leverage G-Research's core predictive competencies.
The role involves working alongside Researchers to advise them on engineering design principles and pair with them on their projects. This Group operates as an internal incubator, so there will be exposure to a variety of projects and the ideal candidate will therefore excel across multiple technology stacks.
Key responsibilities of the role include:
- Writing code in multiple languages across the stack to enable researchers to investigate their ideas
- Writing code that meets modern engineering standards: good test coverage, containerised, orchestrated in a PaaS etc
- Developing re-usable components for future research in the form of libraries or services, with a preference for the use of open source or vendor solutions where that accelerates idea validation
- Investigating and developing proof-of-concept for the use of open source and vendor technologies for trade execution and quantitative research
- Operating and supporting the platform and processes that are developed by the team
- Communicating and visualising technical ideas concisely and clearly to research, business and development teams
- Taking projects from requirement-gathering right through to completion, often dealing with ambiguity
- Documenting ideas, designs, decisions, and new knowledge accurately
Who are we looking for?
The ideal candidate will have:
- Minimum Bachelor's degree in quantitative, STEM or other technical discipline
- 8+ years’ experience writing code in one of: Python, Java, C#
- Knowledge and practise of continuous delivery, agile, and continuous integration
- Experience working on complex systems with multiple components
- Advanced problem-solving and logic skills
The following skills and experience would also be beneficial:
- 1+ years’ experience with Python scientific libraries
- 1+ years’ experience with a notebook technology e.g. Jupyter
- 1+ years’ experience working within AWS
- 1+ years’ experience using modern front end tooling such as Angular or React
- Experience working in a Linux environment
- Knowledge and experience developing and operating trading systems in a real-time trading environment
- Experience working in an innovative, quantitative environment
- Experience integrating vendor trading systems into an existing platform
Why should you apply?
- Highly competitive compensation plus annual discretionary bonus
- Informal dress code and excellent work/life balance
- Comprehensive healthcare and life assurance
- 25 days holiday
- 9% company pension contributions
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Subsidised gym membership
- Monthly company events
- Central London office close to 5 stations and 6 tube lines