Software Engineer – Security Data Platform
G-Research is Europe’s leading quantitative finance research firm. By using the latest scientific techniques, we produce world-beating predictive research and build advanced technology to analyse the world’s data. We hire the brightest minds in the world to tackle some of the biggest questions in finance. We pair this expertise with machine learning, big data, and some of the most advanced technology available to predict movements in financial markets.
The Security Data Engineering team forms part of the Security Detection and Response function in G-Research, supporting the Security Operations Centre in detecting and responding to malicious activity that could negatively impact the organisation. The team is responsible for developing the end-to-end capability required to perform a range of monitoring and response capabilities across the physical, personnel and cyber domains. We also support and provide data services to other parts of the organisation to support compliance and operational management.
Our Software Engineers have strong computer science backgrounds and are comfortable working cooperatively across a range of different teams.
Key responsibilities of the role include:
- Contributing to the development of the Security Data Platform
- Building and maintaining scripted run-books, security dashboards and visualisations to support the SOC in its day-to-day work
- Supporting the wider security team in maintaining a view of our security estate for both operational and compliance purposes
- Onboarding new data sources to the security monitoring environment
- Generating meaningful anomaly detection alerting (alongside the SOC and data science teams)
- Deploying anomaly detection and correlation alerting into production
Key to this role is our ability to engage with partners and build on open source technologies. As such, our engineers have access to a range of training in the full set of big data technologies as well as access to the leading global conferences relating to data, data science and security.
Who are we looking for?
The ideal candidate will:
- Have excellent academics. Candidates should have achieved a 2:1 or above in Computer Science or Computer Science with Mathematics from a top tier University, or be able to demonstrate the appropriate level of relevant experience
- 1+ years’ proven software engineering experience
- Be highly computer literate with the ability to learn new skills quickly
- Have a strong understanding of software engineering, operating systems, networks, SQL and NoSQL technologies and data structures
- Have the ability to work autonomously, understanding initial requirements, building and supporting data pipelines and ensuring the finished product is fit for purpose
- Have an open mind, be willing to explore new technologies and be able to demonstrate a commitment to continuous personal development
Advantageous experience and skills include:
- Experience working with big data or analytics technologies, notably Hadoop, Spark, Splunk, Kibana or Tableau
- Programming in either Java or Scala
Why should you apply?
- Highly competitive compensation plus annual discretionary bonus
- Informal dress code and excellent work/life balance
- Comprehensive healthcare and life assurance
- 25 days holiday
- 9% company pension contributions
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Subsidised gym membership
- Monthly company events
- Central London office close to 5 stations and 6 tube lines