Big Data Software Engineer - Data Engineering
G-Research is Europe’s leading quantitative finance research firm. We hire the brightest minds in the world to tackle some of the biggest questions in finance. We pair this expertise with machine learning, big data, and some of the most advanced technology available to predict movements in financial markets.
We are looking for a Big Data Software Engineer to join the team responsible for the new research platform at G-Research. The platform has been built on top of leading edge big data and machine learning technologies (Spark, Tensorflow, Horovod) to accelerate research on near-petabyte-scale data. The team works closely with users of the platform to enable new avenues of research at scale.
Key responsibilities of the role include:
- Working in a highly collaborative environment with regular pair and mob programming
- Designing and building solutions that drive value out of near-petabyte-scale data
- Collaborating regularly with quantitative research teams to maximise efficiency and value
- Continuously exploring and developing solutions to improve data and compute throughput at scale
- Demonstrating software engineering best practices such as TDD, CI and CD
Who are we looking for?
The ideal candidate will have:
- Strong skills in at least one of Python, Java, Scala, Kotlin
- The energy to persevere on complex technical problems
- A curiosity and eagerness to learn and apply new technologies or domain concepts
- Drive to constantly find new ways to make solutions faster, better and lower-maintenance
- The ability to hold in-depth conversations with users in their domain language
Advantageous experience and skills include:
- Experience with big data technologies e.g. Spark, YARN, Hadoop
- Experience with ML technologies e.g. Tensorflow, Keras, Pytorch, Horovod
- Experience with performance tuning
Why should you apply?
- Highly competitive compensation plus annual discretionary bonus
- Informal dress code and excellent work/life balance
- Comprehensive healthcare and life assurance
- 25 days holiday
- 9% company pension contributions
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Subsidised gym membership
- Monthly company events
- Central London office close to 5 stations and 6 tube lines