G-Research is Europe’s leading quantitative finance research firm. We hire the brightest minds in the world to tackle some of the biggest questions in finance. We pair this expertise with machine learning, big data, and some of the most advanced technology available to predict movements in financial markets.
The Research Data team at G-Research is looking for a talented Data Engineer to join them. The team is responsible for processing and modelling vendor data and making this available in a standardised format for research and trading. The datasets range from simple CSV files to complex hierarchical formats, covering subjects as diverse as analyst tips and weather forecasts. We aim to provide the tools and services to access this data and ensure data quality and consistency.
This role involves collaborating closely with other teams across the business to deliver outstanding data resources and end-to-end design and implementation. Key technologies used in this role include: SQL Server, PostgreSQL, Cassandra, Spark, Kubernetes, Kotlin, Java, Scala, C#, .NET Core
The platform that the firm provides is used 24 hours a day, and all engineers in the group have a responsibility to support production issues encountered in the data processing. This will include a share of overnight calls from within the firm.
Key responsibilities of the role include:
- Designing and implementing high-quality code to process and manipulate large datasets
- Building cutting-edge tools and infrastructure supporting core facilities in the firm
- Strong data management skills
- Advising cross-team initiatives
- Assessing frontier technologies
- Occasional full stack engineering (despite the team being primarily backend focussed)
- Optimising data storage and modelling
- Responding to the ever-changing requirements of the business.
Who are we looking for?
The ideal candidate will have:
- A demonstrable understanding of database design and use, or other data management techniques (both relational and non-relational)
- A proven ability to engineer high-quality software
- An appreciation of good software architecture, Comp Science fundamentals and data structures
- Experience with micro-services and distributed systems
- Experience of TDD and the ability to write clean code
- Experience of agile methodologies and a familiarity with retrospectives and continuous improvement processes
- A demonstrable desire to stay informed on the latest technologies and practices.
- A keen interest in applying continuous delivery principles
Financial experience may be useful but is not required. Candidates from non-financial backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
Why should you apply?
- Highly competitive compensation plus annual discretionary bonus
- Informal dress code and excellent work/life balance
- Comprehensive healthcare and life assurance
- 25 days holiday
- 9% company pension contributions
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Subsidised gym membership
- Monthly company events
- Central London office close to 5 stations and 6 tube lines