Infrastructure (IaaS) Lead Architect
G-Research is Europe’s leading quantitative finance research firm. We hire the brightest minds in the world to tackle some of the biggest questions in finance. We pair this expertise with machine learning, big data, and some of the most advanced technology available to predict movements in financial markets.
Engineering and the CTO Office
The CTO Office co-ordinates the G-Research technology strategy and vision. The company has grown quickly over the past few years and has a large and varied technology estate, which is undergoing rapid change. The CTO is responsible for future technology direction for the business and ensuring requirements are articulated clearly for the Engineering organisation.
The Engineering organisation is grouped into a number of Functional Areas. Each Functional Area is responsible for the design, implementation and operation of a set of products which fall in a coherent domain within the G-Research technology ecosystem. Infrastructure (IaaS) is responsible for the underlying compute, storage and network platforms that enable our research and engineering teams to build and deploy at pace and scale.
The Infrastructure (IaaS) Lead Architect is a Product Architect role with a hybrid reporting setup across both the G-Research Engineering and Architecture organisations.
Positioned within the IaaS Functional Area, you will work alongside the Functional Lead to manage and develop the product roadmap for the products and services they offer. Matrixed into the CTO Architecture Practice as part of the Federated Architecture Team, you will work with peer Product and Domain Architects to establish and describe application and product strategy across the organisation.
As the IaaS Lead Architect, you will:
- Own the roadmap for the products and services within IaaS and be responsible for ensuring that it aligns appropriately with business objectives.
- Work with your Functional Lead in planning the execution of your roadmap.
- Act as a technical authority for the products within your functional area. Provide technical leadership on key architecture decisions and act as a point of technical escalation for the engineering teams delivering your products.
- Maintain a hands on approach to the design, development and support of existing and new products.
- Support the CTO and Architecture Practice Lead by advocating and applying key G-Research architectural shifts within your roadmaps.
- Operate as part of the wider Federated Architecture Team identifying and answering key emerging significant strategic questions.
- Work with peer Product and Domain Architects to articulate your requirements of them and work to ensure that your roadmaps align together.
- Work within our governance structures to develop principles, standards and patterns relevant to your product domain which drive improvements in interoperability and assurance.
- Collaborate with engineering teams across the organisation to collectively deliver the product roadmap and strategy by demonstrating leadership and influence.
- Pro-actively manage governance and quality such that your product architectures address a pragmatic balance of business and security objectives.
Who are we looking for?
The ideal candidate will have a demonstrable background in large scale design and/or enterprise architecture within a comparable organisation operating at scale. You will bring broad experience across the range of infrastructure disciplines (compute, storage, networking, identity) with deep experience in at least one.
The ideal candidate will demonstrate the following:
- A breadth of experience in a wide range of architecture approaches, understanding their pitfalls and benefits
- The soft skills and experience of working with people to ensure that you are sensitive to the views of others, and be able to discover how to work with a rich variety of different stakeholders
- Technical delivery experience of establishing Private Cloud environments and operating in a hybrid model with Public Cloud providers
- Experience in developing and designing an infrastructure architecture to support modern cloud-native application approaches such as DevOps, Immutable Infrastructure, Infrastructure-as-Code and Containerisation
- Strong Security Architecture understanding with exposure to high-assurance operating environments
- Ability to gather, analyse, document and validate the needs of customers and stakeholders and link these needs to plans and roadmaps
- Sound technical background in system design, engineering or software development with the ability to bridge a span of technical detail through to high level conceptual discussion
- Strong communication skills with the ability to reduce complex problems such that they can be readily understood by a range of consumers
- Comfortable in making decisions stick through influence and collaboration
- Ability to bring structure to situations of high uncertainty and balance delivery imperative with driving for long-term outcomes
- Strong analytical thinking with the ability to quickly acquire a good understanding of a problem or situation by breaking it down systematically into components
- Understanding and experience of how complexity arises in organisations, the underlying causes and methods of tackling it
- Able to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team but also being known as a self-starter with a proactive approach
One thing all successful candidates have in common is a passion to use technology, new concepts and new ideas to solve complicated problems.
Why should you apply?
- Highly competitive compensation plus annual discretionary bonus
- Informal dress code and excellent work/life balance
- Comprehensive healthcare and life assurance
- 25 days holiday
- 9% company pension contributions
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Subsidised gym membership
- Monthly company events
- Central London office close to 5 stations and 6 tube lines