Software Engineer – Security Development Team
G-Research is Europe’s leading quantitative finance research firm. We hire the brightest minds in the world to tackle some of the biggest questions in finance. We pair this expertise with machine learning, big data, and some of the most advanced technology available to predict movements in financial markets.
Engineering is core to our business. By designing and implementing real-time systems, our engineers are solving some of the world's most complex financial problems.
The Software Engineering Services group solves problems which cut across the rest of the Engineering organisation, as well as supporting Research. Software engineering tools, continuous integration and delivery pipelines, shared libraries and services, security architecture, and development of security software are all in the group's remit.
The Security Development team within this group is responsible for providing cutting edge security products and controls for protecting the firm’s IP, used by both the Engineering and Research organisations.
As part of the highly skilled Security Development team, you’ll bring your expertise to bear on building and choosing high quality components and systems that solve the important security issues that other teams face. We design systems to secure our intellectual property from attack, we create cryptographically secure solutions, and we think about security protocols for everything from authorisation to handling secrets, spanning from the digital world to the physical.
Past and present examples include creating a cutting-edge key management platform, developing software that provides high integrity approval workflows as a service, and building shared libraries for endpoint authentication and authorisation.
We make it easy for other engineers to implement security in their work. Can you help us provide a developer-friendly API design? Do you like designing and implementing secure, high-integrity workflows? Are you a master at seamlessly integrating appropriate security controls in just the right places? Come and join us!
Key responsibilities will include:
- Crafting large scale service-oriented systems
- API design for use in a real time environment
- Maintaining trading-critical and availability-critical systems
- Actively follow industry advances and foster their use
Who are we looking for?
The ideal candidate will have the following:
- An understanding of good software architecture, concurrency, algorithms and data structures
- Excellent problem solving and object-oriented programming skills - either in C++, C#, Java or willing to cross train from a similar language
- Enjoy collaborating with your software engineering colleagues to solve technical problems
The following would also be beneficial, but not essential:
- Strong academics - such as a good degree in a technology-related subject and A-Levels to match
- Good knowledge of secure development practices e.g. input sanitisation, container security, cryptography, etc.
- Concurrent and distributed systems design
- Secure software development and an appreciation of integrity
- Experience of other languages: Go, TypeScript, SQL, Python
- Engineering high throughput/traffic software system using modern scalable architecture
- Postgraduate qualifications
- Financial or security experience is not necessary but a passion for programming and for high quality system design is vital for this role
Why should you apply?
- Highly competitive compensation plus annual discretionary bonus
- Informal dress code and excellent work/life balance
- Comprehensive healthcare and life assurance
- 25 days holiday
- 9% company pension contributions
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Subsidised gym membership
- Monthly company events
- Central London office close to 5 stations and 6 tube lines