Head of Realtime Platform Development
G-Research is Europe’s leading quantitative finance research firm. We hire the brightest minds in the world to tackle some of the biggest questions in finance. We pair this expertise with machine learning, big data, and some of the most advanced technology available to predict movements in financial markets.
Reporting into the Deputy Head of Engineering, this role will define and embed the medium-to-long term technology strategy within the function. Partnering with peers, the Deputy Head, and principal engineers, this role is responsible for leading six engineering teams. The successful candidate will determine and be accountable for the roadmap, technical strategy, headcount, and budget for the function, regularly updating and realigning in response to business obstacles and the internal/external environment.
The key responsibilities of this role are:
- Driving cross-team and functional discussions and decisions on priorities (roadmap), technology, and people strategy, effectively balancing the needs of the function and Engineering more broadly across G-Research
- Developing engineering talent and leadership within and across the function; effectively managing and developing team managers
- Identifying gaps between current and desired future state and defining the practical concrete steps to meet the change required
- Positively engaging people by articulating the vision to drive an open and progressive work environment
- Fostering an environment of change and innovation, using knowledge of internal and external environment to seek out improvement and innovation opportunities
- Leading the security and risk environment across the function, ensuring 3 Lines of Defence (3LoD) and risk-related activities are fully integrated into ways of working
- Using business knowledge and networks to collaborate proactively on company-wide initiatives
- Building and maintaining effective external/industry knowledge and network
- Maintaining a working relationship with our clients to develop and deliver a roadmap to meet their needs
- Reducing the operational and financial risk of the client by building clear and intuitive products for the management of a global trading platform
- Taking a value-driven approach to strategic planning, clearly articulating the measurable benefits and internal rate of return
- Working collaboratively with the Finance team to utilise financial modelling techniques to drive cost-effective approaches and value-based outcomes
- Identifying and understanding financial drivers in strategic planning, estimating project and programme timeline and budgets effectively
Who are we looking for?
The ideal candidate will be an intelligent, capable and distinguished team manager with a proven ability to lead teams that deliver first-class business value. They will have the breadth of experience necessary to deliver world-beating managerial, technical and thought leadership across a group of high-performance specialist teams.
The following skills and experience are required:
- A background in software development and management of software development projects; demonstrated success in timely and sustained delivery
- A track record of effective stakeholder management and ability to influence in complex, cross-functional environments
- Commercial approach to business delivery and results
- Skilled communicator across all levels in the organisation, with the ability to flex communication approach according to the audience/situation
- Experience in developing high performance teams
- Effective decision making, leveraging systems thinking; considers mid-longer horizon impacts on functional, people and roadmap related decisions
- Experience within the financial domain preferable
- Experience in managing and developing a team of managers preferable
Why should you apply?
- Highly competitive compensation plus annual discretionary bonus
- Informal dress code and excellent work/life balance
- Comprehensive healthcare and life assurance
- 25 days holiday
- 9% company pension contributions
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Subsidised gym membership
- Monthly company events
- Central London office close to 5 stations and 6 tube lines