Head of Data Engineering
G-Research is Europe’s leading quantitative finance research firm. We hire the brightest minds in the world to tackle some of the biggest questions in finance. We pair this expertise with machine learning, big data, and some of the most advanced technology available to predict movements in financial markets.
Data is at the heart of what we do and fuels the success of our Research division. The Data Engineering function at G-Research has a broad responsibility for the firm’s excellent data and platform operations, from data ingestion, streaming and processing through to the delivery of all manner of data products to its internal clients.
Reporting into the Deputy Head of Engineering, the key responsibilities of this role include:
- Defining and embedding the medium-to-long-term technology strategy within the function, collaborating with peers, the deputy head and principal engineers
- Determining, and being accountable for, the roadmap, technical strategy, headcount and budget for the function, regularly updating and realigning in response to business obstacles and the internal/external environment
- Leading a function of eight Data Engineering teams and their managers
- Key partner/collaborator in technology and strategy decisions across the engineering group
- Driving a performance-led culture across the function
- Developing engineering talent and leadership within and across the function; effectively managing and developing team managers
- Fostering an environment of change and innovation (both technical and procedural), using knowledge of internal and external environment to seek out improvement and innovation opportunities
- Leading the security and risk environment across the function, ensuring security- and risk-related activities are fully integrated into ways of working whilst having a clear understanding of the security impact of decisions
- Evangelist for new ideas across the Engineering function
- Using commercial knowledge and networks to collaborate proactively on company-wide initiatives
- Keen interest in the use of data in the wider industry, with practical knowledge and networks
- Building and maintaining excellent working relationships with the function’s internal customers, to develop and deliver a roadmap to meet their needs
- Taking a value-driven approach to strategic planning; clearly articulating the measurable benefits and internal rate of return
- Working collaboratively with the Finance team to utilise financial modelling techniques to drive cost-effective approaches and value-based outcomes.
- Identifying and understanding financial drivers in strategic planning; driving project and programme timeline and budgets effectively
Who are we looking for?
You will be an intelligent, capable and distinguished team manager with a proven ability to lead teams that deliver first-class business value. You will have the breadth of experience necessary to deliver world-beating managerial, technical and thought leadership across a function of high-performance specialist teams.
The ideal candidate will have the following skills and experience:
- A background in software engineering and management of software engineering projects, ideally within the data domain, with demonstrated success in timely and sustained delivery
- Experience building, managing and developing teams of some or all of the following: software, data and distributed systems engineers, and data scientists
- Knowledge of large-scale data and high performance data systems
- Demonstrable experience in driving the adoption of modern software engineering technologies and practices
- A track record of effective stakeholder management and the ability to influence in complex, cross-functional environments
- Commercial approach to business delivery and results
- Skilled communicator across all levels in the organisation, with the ability to flex communication approach according to the audience/situation
- Effective decision-making leveraging systems thinking: considers mid-longer horizon impacts on functional, people and roadmap-related decisions
- Experience in managing and developing a team of managers preferable
- Experience overseeing technical strategy with Big Data tools & technologies at its core, and of managing data processing and data streaming teams highly beneficial
Why should you apply?
- Highly competitive compensation plus annual discretionary bonus
- Informal dress code and excellent work/life balance
- Comprehensive healthcare and life assurance
- 25 days holiday
- 9% company pension contributions
- Cycle-to-work scheme
- Subsidised gym membership
- Monthly company events
- Central London office close to 5 stations and 6 tube lines